Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Miter Saw Blade Question

Vancouver Island, Courtenay/Comox Valley, British Columbia

Miter Saw Blade Question

Okay, I was cruising along this morning trying to get some more shelves up in the shop with some angled supports, and while I was cutting one support, the blade in the SCMS got stuck in the wood. So I shut off the saw, unplugged it, and I had a hard time getting the wood off the blade.

So now, of course, the blade is no longer square to the fence or square to the table. My question is, is there an easy way to tell if the blade is bent altogether? (before I spend an hour doing all kinds of adjustments?)

I probably have about 100 hours on this saw (and this blade). This is my SCMS. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	newms.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	76.6 KB 
ID:	55930

No sense showing you a half cut piece of 2X4.
    Last edited by Cynthia White; 04-11-2011 at 09:49 PM. Reason: grammar
    AKA Young Grasshopper Woodworker
    AKA The Rookie

Sounds like a scary incident.
    Glad no injuries were involved.
    I would suggest just laying the blade on a flat surface, like the table saw top. Lay on both sides if it looks bent, it is bent, if it wobbles it is bent.
    Were you pulling or pushing? A slider CMS is meant to be brought to the front, lowered into the wood then pushed back.
    When I first started with mine, I lowered and pulled but the blade wanted to 'race' through the wood. Then I learned here (it really is a very useful forum) that was dangerous and a backwards procedure.
    Good luck. Let us know if the blade is damaged.
    "Folks is funny critters."

Think for yourselves and let others enjoy the privilege to do so, too. ~Voltaire

Hey, Frank. Yeah, it wasn't so much scary as annoying. I'm not so scared of my power tools anymore. I was all suited up for safety like an astronaut. I stand well away from the saw and to the side. I always use a vise to hold down the board. I fully extend it back, then down then forward.

So now I have one support fully cut and 10 supports needing 2 more cuts. At least it's sunny today, so I'm going to go outside for a bit.
    AKA The Rookie

somewhere east of Queen Creek, AZ - South East of Phoenix
    Quote Originally Posted by Cynthia White View Post
    Hey, Frank. Yeah, it wasn't so much scary as annoying. I'm not so scared of my power tools anymore. I was all suited up for safety like an astronaut. I stand well away from the saw and to the side. I always use a vise to hold down the board. I fully extend it back, then down then forward.

So now I have one support fully cut and 10 supports needing 2 more cuts. At least it's sunny today, so I'm going to go outside for a bit.
    Thats what Frank was refering to thats backwards.
    "Thereís a lot of work being done today that doesnít have any soul in it. The technique may be the utmost perfection, yet it is lifeless. It doesnít have a soul. I hope my furniture has a soul to it." - Sam Maloof
    The Pessimist complains about the wind; The Optimist expects it to change;The Realist adjusts the sails.~ William Arthur Ward

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Fusco View Post
    A slider CMS is meant to be brought to the front, lowered into the wood then pushed back.
    I fully extend it back, then down then forward.
    Cynthia, from your description, I believe you are doing the opposite of what Frank is suggesting.

Were your pulling the slider through the cut or pushing it through? If you are pulling, the blade may want to run towards you across the board. If you are pushing, your are controlling the cut.

I don't have a slider so I guess I'm confused as to how the saw got stuck in the wood?
    Programmer - An organism that turns coffee into software.
    If all your friends are exactly like you, What an un-interesting life it must be.
    "A door is what a dog is perpetually on the wrong side of" Ogden Nash

Quote Originally Posted by Don Baer View Post

Thats what Frank was refering to thats backwards.
    Okay, maybe I expressed it wrong. I extend it toward me, then down then away from me through the wood.
    AKA The Rookie

Quote Originally Posted by Brent Dowell View Post

I don't have a slider so I guess I'm confused as to how the saw got stuck in the wood?

No, Brent, I'm doing it right, just worded it wrong. I push the saw through the wood. And I have no idea how it got stuck either. But what makes a blade get stuck? A twisted board that binds the blade?
    AKA The Rookie

Unplug the saw put your square on the table up to the blade. rotate the blade by hand. If the blade moves away from the square than back to it again it has been bent. (guessing not) My guess is the force of the bind knocked the fence out of adjustment. Might even have bent the fence. Like I did on my big Hitachi
    It could be worse You could be on fire.
    Stupid hurts.

From my mistakes, it's usually something that causes the wood to pinch the blade. Usually it's happened to me on rip cuts where the wood closes up due to stress in the wood.

But I've never had it happen with a 2x4 on my miter saw. I'm confused.

Maybe one of the more experienced guys would know.
    Programmer - An organism that turns coffee into software.
    If all your friends are exactly like you, What an un-interesting life it must be.
    "A door is what a dog is perpetually on the wrong side of" Ogden Nash

No, Brent, I'm doing it right, just worded it wrong. I push the saw through the wood. And I have no idea how it got stuck either. But what makes a blade get stuck? A twisted board that binds the blade?
    Yes.........
    It could be worse You could be on fire.
    Stupid hurts.