Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: spurtles for the web site

spurtles for the web site

well, with the weather being so nice, how could i not resist jumping head first in my personal outdoor spinny zone? some of the items i'll be making for the web site will be from visits to the zone, and these are the start. i started at around 9 this morning (after dropping the wife off at school), and kept going (with stops only to pick the wife up from school, bathroom breaks, a quick swig here and there, you know the drill), and stopped some several hours later. the end result was a dozen spurtles, the top six are hickory, and the bottom six are maple. they are just a touch over 11 inches long. that new face shield i bought a while back was just nice! with it on, i had such good over all vision, that it was almost like it wasn't there.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails large hickory and maple spurtles.jpg  
    benedictione omnes bene

www.burroviejowoodworking.com

check out my etsy store, buroviejowoodworking

Of all the spurtles I've ever seen, that's 12 of 'em right there.

Looking good, Dan. They should sell well.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

thanks vaughn! once i get my good hard maple blanks, i'll be heading to the zone again... (sorry larry!!)
    benedictione omnes bene

Vancouver Island, Courtenay/Comox Valley, British Columbia
    I only recently learned what one is. If you're going to sell them, be sure to have an info card available on them. Any devoted cook would love one. I'll take a hickory one please.
    AKA Young Grasshopper Woodworker
    AKA The Rookie

Those are really nice. Should sell well.

Unlike Cynthia, I am to lazy to look up spurtle. What in the world are they and what do they do? (look like good handles to me!)
    Jon

God and family, the rest is icing on the cake. I'm so far behind, I think I'm in first place!

Host of the 2015 FAMILY WOODWORKING GATHERING

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan Shively View Post
    Unlike Cynthia, I am to lazy to look up spurtle. What in the world are they and what do they do? (look like good handles to me!)
    Are they used to subdue unruly turtles?
    Jesus was a Woodworker

cynthia - $15 + shipping, and one is all yours...

for the rest of you - The spurtle (or "spirtle") is a Scots kitchen tool, dating from at least the fifteenth century. It was originally a flat, wooden, spatula-like utensil, used for flipping oatcakes on a hot griddle.

Over time, the original implement changed shape and began being used specifically for stirring oatmeal and soups. The rod-like shape is designed for constant stirring which prevents the porridge from congealing and so becoming lumpy and unappetising.[1] It looks like a fat wooden dowel, often with a contoured end to give the user a better grip.

The Annual Golden Spurtle World Porridge-Making Championship, held in Carrbridge each year, invites porridge-makers from across the globe to compete for the "Golden Spurtle".
    benedictione omnes bene

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Mooney View Post
    Are they used to subdue unruly turtles?

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Noren View Post
    The spurtle (or "spirtle") is a Scots kitchen tool, dating from at least the fifteenth century. It was originally a flat, wooden, spatula-like utensil, used for flipping oatcakes on a hot griddle.

Over time, the original implement changed shape and began being used specifically for stirring oatmeal and soups. The rod-like shape is designed for constant stirring which prevents the porridge from congealing and so becoming lumpy and unappetising.[1] It looks like a fat wooden dowel, often with a contoured end to give the user a better grip.
    Thanks for the information Dan.
    So, since this will be immersed in liquid most if not every time it is used, is there a specific finish you use that isn't a family secret? Does a spurtle user just wipe a spurtle off when finished using it?
    Jon

God and family, the rest is icing on the cake. I'm so far behind, I think I'm in first place!

Host of the 2015 FAMILY WOODWORKING GATHERING

Good looking bunch and should sell well.
    Bernie W.

Retirement: Thats when you return from work one day
    and say, Hi, Honey, Im home forever.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.