spurtles for the web site

Dan Noren

Staff member
well, with the weather being so nice, how could i not resist jumping head first in my personal outdoor spinny zone? some of the items i'll be making for the web site will be from visits to the zone, and these are the start. i started at around 9 this morning (after dropping the wife off at school), and kept going (with stops only to pick the wife up from school, bathroom breaks, a quick swig here and there, you know the drill), and stopped some several hours later. the end result was a dozen spurtles, the top six are hickory, and the bottom six are maple. they are just a touch over 11 inches long. that new face shield i bought a while back was just nice! with it on, i had such good over all vision, that it was almost like it wasn't there.

Attachments

• large hickory and maple spurtles.jpg
    large hickory and maple spurtles.jpg
    97.9 KB · Views: 83
cynthia - $15 + shipping, and one is all yours... :D:thumb:

for the rest of you - The spurtle (or "spirtle") is a Scots kitchen tool, dating from at least the fifteenth century. It was originally a flat, wooden, spatula-like utensil, used for flipping oatcakes on a hot griddle.

Over time, the original implement changed shape and began being used specifically for stirring oatmeal and soups. The rod-like shape is designed for constant stirring which prevents the porridge from congealing and so becoming lumpy and unappetising.[1] It looks like a fat wooden dowel, often with a contoured end to give the user a better grip.

The Annual Golden Spurtle World Porridge-Making Championship, held in Carrbridge each year, invites porridge-makers from across the globe to compete for the "Golden Spurtle".

Are they used to subdue unruly turtles? :dunno: :huh: :rofl: :rofl:

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::thumb:

The spurtle (or "spirtle") is a Scots kitchen tool, dating from at least the fifteenth century. It was originally a flat, wooden, spatula-like utensil, used for flipping oatcakes on a hot griddle.

Over time, the original implement changed shape and began being used specifically for stirring oatmeal and soups. The rod-like shape is designed for constant stirring which prevents the porridge from congealing and so becoming lumpy and unappetising.[1] It looks like a fat wooden dowel, often with a contoured end to give the user a better grip.

Thanks for the information Dan. :thumb:
So, since this will be immersed in liquid most if not every time it is used, is there a specific finish you use that isn't a family secret? Does a spurtle user just wipe a spurtle off when finished using it?

jon- i've given them a basic mineral oil finish that i would use on cutting boards and such. as for cleaning, wash it like any other cooking implement, just not in the dish washer, they hate that.... :rofl:

Lookin' good.
Hope they sell well. I know folks who do sell them on a regular basis.
I (literally) can't give them away. Wife, friends, relatives, etc. simply cannot see a use for them. Even a chef in training declined. Oh, well.