Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Capalta???

Capalta???

Capalta? or something like that. I have a very large tree I have to take down in buffalo sometime soon. If anyone wants it they are elcome to stop by and grab it when I get ready to chop it up. I am keeping the main trunk for lumber, but there will be plenty of turning stock. Main trunk is about 26" across.

Catalpa? Large leaves with pods?
    Jon

God and family, the rest is icing on the cake. I'm so far behind, I think I'm in first place!

Host of the 2015 FAMILY WOODWORKING GATHERING

Dunno 'bout the wood. But, I do know smoking those 'ceegars' will make a young feller mighty sick and turn him as green as the leaves. DAMHIK
    I also know the big green icky worms on the underside of the leaves are about the best fishin' bait there is.
    "Folks is funny critters."

Think for yourselves and let others enjoy the privilege to do so, too. ~Voltaire

I'm in!!! Opps...wrong coast
    Your Respiratory Therapist wears Combat boots

Yes large pods on them.

It is a nice looking brownish wood. Supposed to be good for carving. I've seen some at a local sawyer but never worked with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Fusco View Post
    Dunno 'bout the wood. But, I do know smoking those 'ceegars' will make a young feller mighty sick and turn him as green as the leaves. DAMHIK ...
    You, too?!?!?!

That takes me back almost 60 years!
    Jim D.
    Adapt, Improvise, Overcome!

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Fusco View Post
    I also know the big green icky worms on the underside of the leaves are about the best fishin' bait there is.
    http://www.hiltonpond.org/ThisWeek010708b.html

Programmer - An organism that turns coffee into software.
    If all your friends are exactly like you, What an un-interesting life it must be.
    "A door is what a dog is perpetually on the wrong side of" Ogden Nash

You guys really like that stuff for usable wood? We cut them, shove them and burn them fast as we can.
    If you don't take pride in your work, life get's pretty boring.

Rule of thumb is if you donít know what tool to buy next, then you probably donít need it yet.

"The wood is soft like white pine and light, weighing only 26 pounds per cubic foot when dry. It also does not rot easily; in earlier years it was used for fence posts and less than successfully as railroad ties. More modern usage that highlight the wood's beautiful grain includes furniture, interior trim and cabinetry. Surprisingly catalpa has the lowest shrinkage/expansion rate of any domestic (USA) hardwood. Only northern white cedar and redwood have lower shrinkage/expansion rates and not by much. The wood's unique properties make it excellent for carving and boatbuilding."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Catalpa_speciosa