Hillbilly engineering- Update 8-22-11

That little saw looks great in that big new table! The first TS I ever used was a '50s vintage craftsman which had a 9" blade... the stock fence was horrible... but it taught me respect for the tool and my Mentor got me through the heebie jeebies and I wound up enjoying using it. It was a great little saw, belt driven and passed the nickel test.

Hill-bilyly engineers are pretty darned talented!

Very-very well done. :thumb:
You are maximizing the abilities of a modest saw.
I would be more than a week trying to figure out how to make the tables level with each other. :huh:
Great upgrade. Enjoy. :D

Thanks guys, appreciate your looking & comments :thumb:

Hey Ken, what are the particulars on your fence?

Julio, this Frankenstein fence was made in sort of a 'duct-tape-less' Red Green style...:rofl:

The table length aluminum box surrounding the 3/4" pipe clamp were previously glass shower door tracks, stamped or extruded I'm not quite sure. The track has two dividers running it's length, as it came from a three door enclosure version. The top and bottom piece nest together with some added rivets. The pipe clamp sat perfectly on top of the dividers and I drilled mounting holes on both sides of the pipe to help maintain it's centering. Those bolt holes continue into and thru the rail ends of the fence, one end is part of the original fence and the other end was made from a piece of 5/4 oak{temporary until I find something else more useable for stability}.

I also drilled thru the clamp ends into the rail sections of the fence to keep them from spinning. The sacrificial fence is from 1/2" mdf and is attached with a smidgeon of double-sided tape at the ends...and the rails themselves are 1.25" x 1.25" x 1/4" angle steel. I used the sawz-all to notch the front rail for slide slots, and currently I can't see needing to notch the back rail as there looks
to be plenty of room for a good sized cross-cut sled...

and in the words of wisdom from 'ol Red himself...'if the women don't find you handsome, let 'em at least find you handy' :thumb:

Well if thats hillbilly engineering i am wondering what people will call what i produce.;)

Great post Ken and nice addition to that saw. I hope Cynthia sees this post because its kind of what she needs to do with her saw inmho.

Thanks Ken, yeah, Dad's probably smiling down thinking, it wasn't a waste to let me watch the master himself :D
Then again, I don't know if he actually wanted me to learn, or if he just got a kick out of having me fetch a sky hook from the tool box, or to check the blinker fluid, muffler bearings etc. etc. :rofl:
his duct tape, baling wire and bf-hammer are still my go to tools :thumb:

Thanks Rob, I've seen some of your work...nice try ;)
Yes Cynthia has seen this, in fact we shot a few words pming back-n-forth about it...That woman has determination and it wouldn't surprise me any if her's is half done by now :D

Thanks Rob, I've seen some of your work...nice try ;)
Yes Cynthia has seen this, in fact we shot a few words pming back-n-forth about it...That woman has determination and it wouldn't surprise me any if her's is half done by now :D

:rofl: :rofl: very funny, you two. Yes, Rob, I saw it, and yes, that's what I need, and yes, I'm going to follow the Hillbilly Design :rofl: but no I haven't done it yet, I'm tearing down walls today. :thumb:

Update 8-22-11

All of these recent threads of shop storage, tips & tricks, got me off my duff for a bit and motivated to start in on some over due thoughts & idea's.

added a couple of shelves for storage along one side of the table, with open end access... And a router bit drawer for my measly collection. Closed it in with bead board scraps left over from a side job for a friend.
mini-DSCF4378.jpg mini-DSCF4393.jpg

Then I moved around to the back side and added a couple of doors, I was going to add a few shelves here as well, but then I remembered I need access for belt changes/motor clean out etc...
Well how bout that, 'once in a while' I do think ahead :rofl: I'll use this area for larger jig storage and what-not instead
mini-DSCF4405.jpg mini-DSCF4404.jpg

a couple more shot's...then on to the remaining sides, hopefully tomorrow if the peanut butter that's going to be 'accidentally spilt' on the honey do list works as planned..."here boy, good doggie" ;):D
mini-DSCF4400.jpg mini-DSCF4407.jpg
mini-DSCF4406.jpg

Last edited:
Really making good use of the space there Ken! I like the scrap storage thingy. I need to come up with a place to store stick like pieces of stock... Now I probably won't sleep, trying to think about it and all :thumb: :thumb: :rofl: :rofl: