Question on a Bug

Bill Simpson

Got any idea what this critter is... currently resides in a Box Elder stump.. ( no, not a Box Elder Beetle, they have red bands.)

Attachments

• Bug.jpg
    Bug.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 79
Brent,

My oldest son (Glenn's brother) had a very favorite book in grade school and on into high school. It was on reptiles.

We had snakes, lizards, and George. George was the resident tarantula. Of the snakes a 5 ft California King pretty much had the run of the house. It loved to hang from the diningroom chandelier.

In Greg's high school each student had to make a presentation to the entire studenbody. Greg was really uptight about that. I suggested that he wear a plain yellow, long sleeved sweater that he had and let George crawl around on it while he made his presentation. I told Greg it wouldn't matter what he said because the tarantula would upstage him. He made an excellent presentation on tarantulas and their life style.

However, I really do not care for bugs in general...not fear, more like "Yuck."

Enjoy,

Jim

My wife, when she was in high school in Taiwan, reached into her desk and felt something cool and coiled in her desk. After the classroom was cleared and a custodian came in and removed it, it was found to be a cobra.:eek:

While I was there visiting before we got married, I was looking for and trying to catch a 100 foot snake. It was called this because once it bites you you can drop dead in 100 feet. (actually a Sharp-Nosed Pit Viper).

Always liked snakes, caught rattlers before. Had many diff kinds as pets that I caught in the wild from a blue racer, diff types of garter snakes, rubber boa, king snakes, rattle snake, hog nosed snake, gopher snake, etc.

But put a spider in my house and I use my 1200fps pellet gun to kill it from a distance!!:p (Yeah, my wife does not like that at all, but I do fix the hole after the monster that invaded my castle is destroyed!!)

...But put a spider in my house and I use my 1200fps pellet gun to kill it from a distance!!:p (Yeah, my wife does not like that at all, but I do fix the hole after the monster that invaded my castle is destroyed!!)

Growing up, I spent many a warm summer night, sitting in the back yard with a BB gun, picking off cockroaches as they crossed the patio. Good times. I used to practice on dog kibble in the off-season. :D I've also shot my share of indoor bugs, although that was before I had the warden...er...wife to keep me in check. :p

Oh, and snakes? None for me, thanks. Never have been a reptile person. :hide:

Snakes have always been a big issue down here. Most of us have slidable screen enclosures to keep them out of the garage. But they still get in.

Black snakes are harmless, but I get them in once in a while in the shop....the rule here is....I open the screen door and try to push him out...if he says no....then I take a machete I keep sharpened and let him have it, and then I take him out in a bag.

Sorry to any nature lovers...but when it comes to snakes, we have no patience.

No harmful snakes around here so snakes don't bother me. They are kind of fun to play with.
Spiders on the other hand, really bother me. I go out of my way to kill the little buggers.
If there is one in the house my wife will scoop it up and put it outside. I'll watch where she puts it and when she's not looking I'll drop a rock on it :D

I think the spiders around here have put a bounty on me :rofl:

another snake story,,, when i was younger my brother liked to play with them and i didnt... well he found one that was hit in the road and while i was in the field working he came up from behind and said my name i turned around and yelled and jumped side ways and was gone!!!! i can handle them if i see them first but not surprised by them..and jim there is now way i would be in your house witha loose snake on the chandleir.. you would have a new door opening if that were to happen while eating a meal there :eek::eek::eek: