Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Your favorite shop activity

Your favorite shop activity

I was just thinking today about what I liked to do most in the shop.

My favorite activity is thickness planing. Not much in the way of skill or effort involved. Its pretty much just repetitious work but I get to watch the wood as it changes from a rough, splintered plank to the smooth finished board it really is.

I like watching the transformation and it gives me a simple pleasure watching the character of the wood finally emerge at the other end of the planer, smoother and lighter than its heavy, rough previous condition. There is an analogy to life somewhere in there I think.

One day I will master the art of hand planing and experience the pleasure first hand.

North West Indiana
    Hmmmmmm, my most favorite activity, building memories. Be it talking with a friend or friends or even the actual building process of some item.
    Look forward to reading the answers to the unique question you posted.
    God and family, the rest is icing on the cake.

I'm so far behind, I think I'm in first place.

Premier Bovine Scatologist

Billings Missouri near Springfield Mo
    Hearing one of my Organs for the first time
    A Turn N Time
    Components for John Smith Organs and the Hobby Organ Builder

Frog Pond Guitars

Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.

DSM, IA
    Being buried in fresh/wet curlies at the lathe...hmmmm maybe I should take the afternoon off?
    A man is rich in proportion to the number of things he can afford to let alone. -Henry David Thoreau
    My Website

Mountain Home, Arkansas
    Just being in there making or repairing things. Being alone and doing something with my hands is relaxing and theraputic.
    "Folks is funny critters."

Think for yourselves and let others enjoy the privilege to do so, too. ~Voltaire

Vancouver Island, Courtenay/Comox Valley, British Columbia
    I like the stage when you begin to put pieces together. When you've done a lot of planning, made lots of cuts, and you begin to see something take shape. It's like you've designed your own jigsaw puzzle and then you solve it.
    AKA Young Grasshopper Woodworker
    AKA The Rookie

S E Washington State
    I like working on the lathe, much for the same reasons. Take a chunk of wood and try to turn it into something. You never really know what is inside that wood.
    "We the People ......"

Reno, Nv
    Coming back from Costco and loading my shop fridge with Sierra Nevada...and a water.
    Your Respiratory Therapist wears Combat boots

Reno NV
    I'm with Frank on this one.

Just being out there I enjoy. Whether its cleaning it, organizing, or actually working on a project. I just enjoy the time spent out there actually making something.

So much of my time is spent in the 'virtual' world working, that I enjoy someplace where the outcome is something tangible and real. Just being able to create something and see it is what I enjoy.
    Programmer - An organism that turns coffee into software.
    If all your friends are exactly like you, What an un-interesting life it must be.
    "A door is what a dog is perpetually on the wrong side of" Ogden Nash

The Heart of Dixie
    Most everything about building one of my boats. I just love the whole process. My least favorite part is cutting out the frames but even that isn't bad. Just a be repetitious.

But, standing back and seeing the boat take shape (literally), from parts to looking like a boat.... that is sweet moment.
    God grant me the senility to forget the people I never liked anyway,
    the good fortune to run into the ones I do,
    and the eyesight to tell the difference.

Kudzu Craft Lightweight Skin on frame Kayaks.
    Custom built boats and Kits