Fatal injury

Very tragic and a horrible way to die.
It is obvious she was not following basic safety procedures and probably did not have proper training on the lathe.
Very sad.

I suspect she had the training, but made a mistake. We all make them, hers turned out awful. I also suspect there will be a lot of finger pointing, and new emphasis on safety. It seems she was alone in the shop, that is one of the worst safety issues but one most of us home woodworkers don't have a choice about.

Garry

My heart goes out to her family and friends. We sometimes forget that the tools we use can kill us.

If you want to see evidence of the destruction a lathe is capable of, do a Google image search for "lathe accident". Be forewarned you will find very gory photos. (Search at your own risk...don't say you haven't been warned.) :eek:

I suspect she had the training, but made a mistake. We all make them, hers turned out awful.

Garry,

I think you're right. The article says it was a wood lathe, not a metal lathe. The article also points out that no-one is allowed to use the shop until a shop course is passed.

What a tragic story, and a sad end to a promising life. We all constantly make mistakes in the shop. I certainly know it's only luck that I haven't yet had to pay for mine. My thoughts go out to her friends and family.

Thanks,

Bill

The article suggested her hair got caught.

Another good reminder not to wear loose clothing or unrestrained hair around power tools...

My heart goes out to her family. Such a tragedy.

I can't even imagine working in shop conditions now days without all my hair tucked up under a baseball hat. Of course, when I took my metal lathe class in college, I don't even remember what safety precautions were were required to practice, other than goggles.

Very sad. Who among us didn't squeak by something that could have ended up just as tragic?

A horrible, sad reminder to all of us. Think "safety, safety, safety" all of the time.

Now is a good time to take a very close look at our own procedures.
Do I / you wear my safety glasses whenever I / you should?
Do I have on my hearing protection?
Do I have my lung protection in force?
Am I wearing the proper apparel?
Is my mind alert and not disturbed by family matters or some other part of life? Am I fogged by alcohol or some other substance?
Etc.????

Come on nice people, keep your body parts and your life so I have someone to give a bad time to.

Think Safety,

Jim

Such a terrible tragedy, more than once I have gotten that why don't you mind your own business look when I walked up to someone and made a safety suggestion,but I would rather have someone ticked of at me than see em usin a white cane or even get killed just because I just shook my head and said nothing.

Such a terrible tragedy, more than once I have gotten that why don't you mind your own business look when I walked up to someone and made a safety suggestion,but I would rather have someone ticked of at me than see em usin a white cane or even get killed just because I just shook my head and said nothing.

I get those looks and cracks at shooting ranges when I comment on safety violations.

Life status changes with age.
My son, the ER doctor, has told me he sees a lot of retirement age men in the emergency department with serious injuries, including finger amputations, from wood shop 'accidents'.
He says they all tell him the same thing.... "I never do it that way, but just this one time........"
The son has taught the father. I keep this in mind and, hopefully, will die with all my fingers and no major scars.
Be safe, have your safety procedures down pat and do not make exceptions.