Thread: Accident at work

Accident at work

Just heard that one of my old co-workers at the school district had a nasty accident with a router. Don't know all the particulars as to how it happened but it involved a 1 1/4 router bit and his hand being pushed through it. not just a nick. This man has many years behind him in the business in a no rush job. This is just a reminder to pay attention to what you are doing around machines as it can happen to the best of us.

I hear that the router felt nothing and the man was in hospital for 4 days and will be off work for 6 weeks. hands are full of nerve ends and require the attention of plastic surgeons to deal with ( wife has just gone through the carple tunnel suregery on both hands last year) Just can't imagine the mess a router bit would do.
    Daily Thought: SOME PEOPLE ARE LIKE SLINKIES..... NOT REALLY GOOD FOR ANYTHING BUT THEY BRING A SMILE TO YOUR FACE WHEN PUSHED DOWN THE STAIRS...............

I can only imagine what a mess a large bit like that would do to someones hand Must be like putting your hand in a blender. My router table is one of the only tools to make me a bit nervous.

I hope your co-worker heals up OK.
    Faith, Hope & Charity

These last couple of stories should be pounded into our heads. I'd guess we all walk into our shop/garage, studio, workspace, and are confident about our skills...as we should be. I'm guessing there are 2 bad situations;lack of tool knowledge and over confidence in tool use. I for one am going to clean up my area and get everything on it's place to start. One accident was enough for me!
    Your Respiratory Therapist wears Combat boots

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Burr View Post
    These last couple of stories should be pounded into our heads. I'd guess we all walk into our shop/garage, studio, workspace, and are confident about our skills...as we should be. I'm guessing there are 2 bad situations;lack of tool knowledge and over confidence in tool use. I for one am going to clean up my area and get everything on it's place to start. One accident was enough for me!
    While I am confident of my skills, I'm also confident that if I get too confident there's a machine in my shop that will show me which of us is tougher... ... any thing that spins and turns and has sharp edges gets my attention.... I like all of my fingers and toes and eyes and such.... case in point, my lathe throwing a bowl at me when I hung my face shield up and then was "just going to touch up the bottom a tiny bit"....
    Chuck
    Tellico Plains, TN
    https://www.etsy.com/shop/TellicoTurnings
    My parents taught me to respect my elders, but it's getting harder and harder to find any.
    If you go looking for trouble, it will usually find you.

Hate to hear that but thanks as I am about to use a router for a job I am not real comfortable with. Hope he has a good surgeon and retains use of the hand.

Garry