Just heard that one of my old co-workers at the school district had a nasty accident with a router. Don't know all the particulars as to how it happened but it involved a 1 1/4 router bit and his hand being pushed through it. not just a nick. This man has many years behind him in the business in a no rush job. This is just a reminder to pay attention to what you are doing around machines as it can happen to the best of us.
I hear that the router felt nothing and the man was in hospital for 4 days and will be off work for 6 weeks. hands are full of nerve ends and require the attention of plastic surgeons to deal with ( wife has just gone through the carple tunnel suregery on both hands last year) Just can't imagine the mess a router bit would do.