Weekend Bench shots 2-24-07

Jeff Horton

Tod started this thread and for what ever reason it died a quick death and I thought it would going to be a good one. So I want to revive it.

Sometime this weekend take a photo of you bench and show us what you have on it. What the project of the weekend is. Not, you bench, whats on it.

This is not about your bench! It is about what what is on your bench!

Now that point is perfectly clear :rofl: I will start with a RARE shot. My bench is never this clean. I just got feed up and put everything up. There is just one panel on there now but I am sure that will change as the day progresses.

bench 2-24.jpg

Jeff

I'll contribute to the 'what's on your bench?" question.

Nothing too exciting......I'll be sanding for most of the weekend on this piece.

shop_2_009.jpg

Here's a better pic of the actual bench......

shop_2_008.jpg

Sanding is not my most enjoyable past-time of woodworking. It's kinda like changing the oil on a sportscar.......some people receive oodles of kicks and giggles out of changing the oil. Not me. I confess....I'm one of those that can't wait to actually drive the beast down a curvy mountain road.

So it is with sanding. One of these days I'll learn to enjoy it, but I'm not holding my breath. :eek:

Perfect Arnie! Just what I wanted to see. Really nice bed. We are big Arts and Crafts fans in my house. Matter of fact my house is Arts and Crafts style.

Hoping Tod will chime in on this but I know he is busy with a big job right now.

Thought I would post a real photo of bench(es) now that I have actually been using them all day. These were taken just before I left. Have to rest the feet for a while then will go back down and finish this glue up.

bench 2-24(2).jpg bench 2-24.jpg

Now maybe some other will play along and post photos of whats on their benches this weekend.

4x8 bench is my assembly bench.
It will be replaced one of these days with a 4x12, and have drawer assemblies underneath for storage.

Second bench is a 4x6, and I use it for sanding, pocket holeing, etc.
It tends to get cluttered real bad.
You know, any flat surface :eek: :dunno: :huh: :D

Last edited:
You caught me adding on to the bench and getting rid of the tool tray. Clamps, hammer and chisel. That's all folks.

Great job Allen! That's gonna be a fine looking bench! :thumb:

My work table is too long to get in one shot. :rofl:
It's a mess but I know where everything is. I'll be in the doweling mode for a while yet. I am loving this big work table. :thumb: I'll have to stop and put the border around it one of these days. :eek:

100_1284.jpg

100_1285.jpg

100_1286.jpg

DT

Last edited:
okayyyyy

I'm about midway through knocking toghether a quick-n-easy router table. It's a cross between Pat Warner's design, and the small one from the cover of the April(?) 2005 Popular Woodworking. And, of course, anything that I dream up along the way to make it suit me.

bench1.jpg
Picture one is the main bench. The magazine is there for inspiration, and
other parts from the project in process. I bought an extension cord that I plan to cut up - insert a switch (shown also) for turning the router off and on.

Oh and I also has pieces from my TS insert. While I was ripping pieces for the router table I also grabbed some 12mm baltic birch and started roughing out a blank for a new zero-clearance insert.

Who else finds themself getting distracted and sometimes working on two projects at the same time, or stopping one project because another one caught your attention?

bench2.jpg
Picture two is the TS - it is the largest trustworthy flat place I have to glue/assemble the torsion-box construction of the top.

bench3.jpg
Picture three is my old/first bench, now a sanding/assembly/extra bench. The ancient Rockwell router that is going into this router table is sitting there in pieces. It was a D-Handle, but I removed the D to make the base smaller for mounting under the table.

Here are a few shots of my benches. Sorry, no work going on in there right now, been to busy with work and preparing for the big move out west to a new "secret undisclosed location".

Attachments

• JB Shop 11.JPG
    JB Shop 11.JPG
    23.3 KB · Views: 78
  • JB Shop 8.JPG
    JB Shop 8.JPG
    19.3 KB · Views: 51
  • JB Shop 2.JPG
    JB Shop 2.JPG
    16.3 KB · Views: 56
  • JB Shop 1.JPG
    JB Shop 1.JPG
    18.9 KB · Views: 79
okayyyyy

I'm about midway through knocking toghether a quick-n-easy router table. It's a cross between Pat Warner's design, and the small one from the cover of the April(?) 2005 Popular Woodworking. And, of course, anything that I dream up along the way to make it suit me.

View attachment 5189
Picture one is the main bench. The magazine is there for inspiration, and
other parts from the project in process. I bought an extension cord that I plan to cut up - insert a switch (shown also) for turning the router off and on.

Oh and I also has pieces from my TS insert. While I was ripping pieces for the router table I also grabbed some 12mm baltic birch and started roughing out a blank for a new zero-clearance insert.

Who else finds themself getting distracted and sometimes working on two projects at the same time, or stopping one project because another one caught your attention?

View attachment 5187
Picture two is the TS - it is the largest trustworthy flat place I have to glue/assemble the torsion-box construction of the top.

View attachment 5188
Picture three is my old/first bench, now a sanding/assembly/extra bench. The ancient Rockwell router that is going into this router table is sitting there in pieces. It was a D-Handle, but I removed the D to make the base smaller for mounting under the table.

Guess I'll have to hold my hand up on that one. :eek:

Here are a few shots of my benches. Sorry, no work going on in there right now, been to busy with work and preparing for the big move out west to a new "secret undisclosed location".

Darn Joe. I didn't know you were a plane-o-holic also:eek: :huh: :D :thumb:

Joe

Talk about benches. You have plenty and that has to make things a lot easier. Well, maybe they are like clamps, you never have plenty. I do notice that there is nothing on any of them. You say that is because you have not been working but I think that it must also be good organization and good habits and good storage areas.

Your secret location will not be secret any more when you move and we all see a semi or two loaded with nothing but tools and benches.

Allen

Well if the question is what is "only" on my bench then it is the parts and pieces of the Oak sewing cabinet I'm building for my wife.

If the question includes, what am I working on but is too big for my bench, then it is two things. The Birdseye Maple and Cherry bookcase, ready for finish(dang spots from my camera again).

And the other is a set of Ash kitchen cabinets I am building for a house we framed about 2 months ago.

Attachments

• 100_3287.jpg
    100_3287.jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 51
  • 100_3290.jpg
    100_3290.jpg
    73.6 KB · Views: 45
  • 100_3242.jpg
    100_3242.jpg
    59.5 KB · Views: 58

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: I thought I was the only one that did that!

DT

well it isn't My bench, but I've been hanging out at my buddy Grizz's shop (Jim Capozzi). This shot shows the beginning of the day:
fatpillcoffee.jpg

(stoking up with caffeine and sugar)

this one shows a piece of 'reaction' wood.... maple that warped this much when we ripped it, the warp occured AS we cut it, it was amazing to see. That stock is about 40" long and the gap at the bottom of the board is easily 3/8"
reactionwood.jpg

later in the day this was the scene:

That Hitachi tailed drill was incredible! It went through that rock maple like butter, and I SO want one now!
kregdust.jpg

Ned, I hate when wood twist like that. My lumber guy will replace a board no question if it twist like that.:thumb: Later I will get a few of my bench a clutter of a project.

Al,
well, I bought this wood in Md, and I'm not going to worry about one 1" wide board going a bit crazy. Actually there were a couple of others, but that one was the most spectacular. Looked like a huge (somewhat straighter) Potato peel as I cut it.

Dang Joe, that shop looks awfully clean. And your tools look like they miss you. :D

No pics of my bench this weekend. I was a slug and didn't do anything in the shop this weekend.

Ok Jeff, not to be left out, here's my bench...

bench.jpg

Now if I would get off my duff and finish building it! :rofl:

Been busy playing building this:

Getting closer but still no cigar. I need to fabricate a couple things still. Should be making some woodworking tools shortly...

Enjoyed this thread. Maybe Tod will be caught up and join us next weekend. This was originally his idea anyway.

I think Ned had the best shots followed very closely by Allen's. Even though Allen, yours didn't exactly fit the requirements, I did get a kick out of it.

Help me remember and we will do it again next weekend, or maybe we should do it by the week?

Jeff