Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Home bar, stools, and sofa table for my son-FINISHED, FINISHED, HOOORAYYY!!!

Home bar, stools, and sofa table for my son-FINISHED, FINISHED, HOOORAYYY!!!

Hopefully, he will finish the basement before I finish all the pieces.
    I started with the bar.
    I thought my wide boards were sapele, but when I bring them into the sunlight so I can see a bit clearer, and wear my readers, the boards look very close to mahogany, so maybe it is mahogany. bonus for him.
    I didnt have enough to make the raised panels, so Im using some of the mystery wood I have. Im hoping someday someone can identify it for me. It looks pretty, so I use it for panels.
    The bar will be approx 54 inches wide, with a 60 inch long top shaped in a U. Approx 20 inch depth, the top bar counter will extend a few inches over that in front.There will be a lower counter approx 10-11 inches lower for the bartender to prepare on. Id prefer more, but he is putting a fridge under the bar and I needed to make room for its height.
    Next to the fridge, I will put in a small open cabinet with a shelf.
    The cabinet will be plywood, everything else is hardwood. Tops, front and sides, all hardwoods.
    The only thing I changed in the design last minute was I decided to do all the panels and construction using pocket screws. Yes, pocket screws.
    I dont mind mortise and tenon construction, but pocket screws seemed adequate for this project.
    I have all the parts cut(no tops yet, there will be alot of hand planing with the big boards, so I have to pysch myself up for that, and sharpen my blade. I own a 3.5 inch electric handheld planer, but Im going to flatten any high spots out with the smoother, as its the only hand plane I own for this job)
    ONe thing I got from this build so far, is my panel making is right on par now.
    Totally flat panels, and running them through the 22-44 is a nice thing.
    Ofcourse, you cant take too much off with the 22-44 at once, so its a slow process, but the machine does all the work. I made the panels 7/8 and let the drum sander handle the rest.
    I started to raise the panels, and ofcourse, my feed rate was wrong on one, and I got some bad tearout. I called it a day, had to glue back a piece that actually chipped off the panel, and will fuss with it tomorrow.
    I expect to have all the panels and frames glued up by saturday afternoon.

Id continue tomorrow, but, Im embarrassed to say, I have to deal with another injury. I believe I gave myself a torn muscle, bad strain, hernia? when I had a coughing bout this week. I thought it was a strained abdominal muscle, but my wife is concerned, IM angry and ashamed , I hate burdening her with my ailments. She didnt sign on for this, I never expected to have one crud thing after another. I figured Id work through it yesterday and today, but the pain is increasing, so like the torn out panel, I have to deal with this. Maybe my doctor can suggest what to do with the bad panel.

anyway, after the bar, Ill start the stools, then the table to go with the bar.

Heres some shots of where IM at.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails bed 383 (Medium).jpg   bed 384 (Medium) (2).jpg   bed 385 (Medium).jpg   bed 386 (Medium).jpg   bed 387 (Medium).jpg  

bed 388 (Medium).jpg  
    Last edited by allen levine; 05-28-2011 at 02:57 PM.

Allen,
    Your 'mystrey wood' looks a lot like the Hickory I'm using on my niece's kitchen island. (pix to follow, eventually...)
    Jim D.
    Adapt, Improvise, Overcome!

Quote Originally Posted by Jim DeLaney View Post
    Allen,
    Your 'mystrey wood' looks a lot like the Hickory I'm using on my niece's kitchen island. (pix to follow, eventually...)
    jim i know yu know wood but i havnt seen any hickory in my parts that was that clean,, is it heavy and hard allen? if not then its got be something else..
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!

Vancouver Island, Courtenay/Comox Valley, British Columbia
    I don't know much about wood, but I've got more hickory than Carter has Little Pills in my shop, and it doesn't look like that at all.
    AKA Young Grasshopper Woodworker
    AKA The Rookie

I'm with Larry its not Hickory. I have seen some soft Maple look like that but with out seeing it up close I really don't know. Could even be Cottonwood
    A Turn N Time
    Components for John Smith Organs and the Hobby Organ Builder

Frog Pond Guitars

Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.

Quote Originally Posted by larry merlau View Post
    jim i know yu know wood but i havnt seen any hickory in my parts that was that clean,, is it heavy and hard allen? if not then its got be something else..
    Its lighter and much easier to sand than oak.

as I mentioned before, the guy who sold it to me could not remember the name of it, other than he said its something south or central american. Some exotic species that he used on a job years earlier. I remember clearly it was on a dolly in his storage, and he said, just take it all for 100 bucks.
    When I got home I sized and measured it and it came out to 89 cents a bf.
    Not all of it is straight, and there is some end checking, but nothing that Ive had to waste or toss more than a couple board feet.

when I ran it through the drum sander, it had a particular odor about it. Not unpleasant, no pleasant, just an odor.
    where its white, its really creamy white, alot of the pieces have no white, they are pinkish with the colors running through it. No big knots, just some tiny ones, very few. I planed down some poplar, not the same.
    Last edited by allen levine; 04-14-2011 at 11:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by allen levine View Post
    Its lighter and much easier to sand than oak...
    Then I was wrong. It ain't Hickory!

So, I'll resort to my old favorite - Dunno wood.
    Jim D.
    Adapt, Improvise, Overcome!

When I go up to Rosenzwieg Lumber, Im going to take a piece of it plain unfinished and a piece with oil on it and show it to all the guys in the office.
    (there were a bunch of guys behind desks).
    They are a major hardwood lumber dealer in this area, one of them will know what it is.

Vancouver Island, Courtenay/Comox Valley, British Columbia
    You're just movin' along a mile a minute. Hope your leg/ligament/whatever clears up quick! It's beautiful wood, BTW, whatever it is.
    AKA Young Grasshopper Woodworker
    AKA The Rookie

WARNING: this post contains a graphic picture, viewer beware

the maybe good news is both doctors were in yesterday and not busy, so my strained abdominal muscles was talked about and both checked me for hernia, and both doubt its a hernia. The muscles are sore as hell, and I feel a little burn, but woodworking must go on.
    This is where Im at as of this afternoon. I had to take time this morning to build a dolly/base to move it around so I can work on the top and the inside top and guts. I was concerned using the lighter wood for the panels, but I think the combination with mahogany looks fine, as it will amber up after waterlox.
    I think I found a bonus with the wood IM using for the bar top. I think its mahogany, but really old mahogany, great great color and grain.
    The bad thing was it was way too heavy for me to handle and put in the drum sander. I planed off some of the higher spots by hand, but running it through the sander proved impossible, so I had to cut the board and Ill have to glue it up later on.
    some pics, and at the end of the day, I asked my wife to help me move some plywood around so I wouldnt have to kill myself, and put down to her means ok, drop it. So my second toe took a nasty hit of 1/2 inch mdf and started swelling up. I need time off, I need time to heal, so I closed up the shop till next weekend and will do some light day trips or overnighters with the wife and rest this body. Sorry about the long post about my injuries, Im just a freekin mess. btw, if you looked, dont complain about my ugly feet, I posted a warning first.
    Oh, the stop sign picture, I hung that sign a while back and its working great. Noone, tries to enter the shop/garage while I have a machine on.
    Even the meter reader stood there until I shut down and saw him.
    Everyone should put a few of these up at the doorway to their shop.

(I attach a few pieces of mdf to bottom of unit so when its transported noone will damage the bottom edges draggin it in or out of truck or down stairs)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails bed 391 (Medium).jpg   bed 392 (Medium).jpg   bed 393 (Medium).jpg   bed 394 (Medium).jpg   bed 396 (Medium).jpg  

bed 397 (Medium).jpg   bed 399 (Medium).jpg   bed 403 (Medium).jpg   bed 404 (Medium).jpg