Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: PLEASE don't take your health for granted ( I did)

Tampa & NC

PLEASE don't take your health for granted ( I did)

This is what can happen when you take life for granted.I was havin a lot of chest pains last yr when climbing up those mountains up in NC,was wonderin why I was gettin pooped out so easy and have no energy,but just figured I was gettin old, 68 now.So when I got back to Tampa in Nov I went to the VA and after a bunch of tests,this is what they found out.

I have a total blockage of the main artery in his heart. (called the
    WIDOW MAKER) Of the 3 arteries to the heart, it is supposed to supply 50% of
    the blood to the heart. One of the other arteries has made it's own small
    artery to bypass the blockage. That means that the artery that is supposed to supply only 25% of the blood to the heart is trying to supply 75%. I have already had a heart attack(danged if I new that) and have heart damage. I have been refered to the Tampa VA for possible open heart surgery. So I am just trying to look on the bright side and am home restin a bit. I'm waiting to hear when I can get an appointment at Haley VA in Tampa for a consult.

Thank you all for your friendship.
    Please say a little prayer for me.
    May God Bless

Delton, Michigan
    keep yur chin up and if they caught before you left this earth ken you better off then not catchun it and in todays medical field they can do major corrections and make your life continue on as it was or better so look positive.. and will be passing along best wishes for a good outcome from the VA
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!

Kansas City, Missouri
    Larry's right Ken. At least they caught it and they can do a lot more than they used to. We'll keep you in our prayers.

To a small child, the perfect granddad is unafraid of big dogs and fierce storms but absolutely terrified of the word “boo.” – Robert Brault

Plainwell, Michigan
    Catching it on this side of the issue is SO much better that the other side of it for certain....Get in there, listen to what they say and get it done, there is going to be more swaps and we want you in them Ken We are here for ya for sure

Between Aledo and Fort Worth, TX
    Sorry to hear of the health issue, but soooo glad they caught it before it was too late. Dad had a quad bypass a few years back. Talked to him last night and is having to do a stint late this month. Hang in there. We'll be praying for you and your Doctors. Jim.
    Coolmeadow Setters...
    Exclusively Irish!
    Home of Irish Setter Rescue of North Texas
    When Irish Eyes are smiling, they're usually up to something!!
    At a minimum, I'm Pentatoxic...but most likely, I'm a Pentaholic. There seems to be no known cure. Pentatonix, winners of The Sing Off, season 3

Reno NV
    Well, I can't say much the other guys haven't, but just glad they got it now instead of later!

Consider yourself on the prayer list...
    Programmer - An organism that turns coffee into software.
    If all your friends are exactly like you, What an un-interesting life it must be.
    "A door is what a dog is perpetually on the wrong side of" Ogden Nash

GTA Ontario Canada
    Ken I am sorry to hear the news hope the op works out for you in the meantime maybe a little monty python to cheer you up.

Lafayette, Indiana
    Ken, I will keep you in my prayers and hope you get the medical attention you need very soon.
    It's not what you achieve in life...It's what you overcome!

Mountain Home, Arkansas
    Ken, I live in a retirement town. By-pass surgeries are more common than haircuts here. I'm not minimizing the seriousness of the situation but pointing out that the procedure is done a lot and invariably successful. I know you are not smiling but keep the chin up.
    BTW, my care by the VA is great, I'm sure yours will be also.
    "Folks is funny critters."

Think for yourselves and let others enjoy the privilege to do so, too. ~Voltaire

Reno, Nv
    Ken, you guys are the one's I help in surgery with and take care of all the time post-op, and my surgery, although on my lung was very simialr to what you'll have done.
    I'm going to give you 2 pieces of advice you will hear over and over again...cough and cough and cough post op. will be given a device called an Incentive spriometer or IS...mine is sitting on the table next to me. It is gonna hurt like a mutha, but use it. Between that, coughing and moving around, you'll avoid pneumonia...and trust me when I tell you, you don't want that! It's going to be an ugly few months, but we'll bounce back!!!
    Praying for you, your family and your doc's. Anything I can help you with, let me know.
    Your Respiratory Therapist wears Combat boots