Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hey Brent...

Hey Brent...

just for you! (well, & Sharon too)

the 'original' Binghamton NY Spiedie & Rib Pit.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails spiedie.jpg  
    -Ned

Very cool! Thanks Ned!!!

I don't know if our spiedies were traditional or not, but they sure were good...

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails FWW-2956.jpg  
    Programmer - An organism that turns coffee into software.
    If all your friends are exactly like you, What an un-interesting life it must be.
    "A door is what a dog is perpetually on the wrong side of" Ogden Nash

bethel springs TN, but was born and raised in north east PA
    Hey Ned i thought Lupo's was the original? I just did a search and they started there's in 1951 on wilson st in Endicott. Not sure of the pic you got there but it looks familiar. Havn't been there in a lot of years but boy does that sound good. It sounds so good we just ordered 2 gals of there sauce. If i could have just one meal in my life it would be a spiedie sandwich. Now i sure do like the state fair sauce also, not sure what i like better so i'll take 2 of each. Man don't do that to me again when i live 1200 miles away.
    Steve

somewhere east of Queen Creek, AZ - South East of Phoenix
    Spiedie Sandwich (SPEE-dee) – The name comes from the Italian spiedo meaning “kitchen cooking spit.” Originally made from lamb, they are now made with virtually any meat. It is chunks of lamb, pork, chicken, beef, or venison that has been marinated for days in a tart sauce and then grilled on a metal skewer, usually over charcoal or gas. The traditional way of serving is between sliced Italian bread with extra sauce poured on top. The Spiedie, skewer and all, is then inserted in sliced Italian bread. The bread is used as a sort of mitt, wrapping around the meat. Pull out the skew and you then have a wonderful and delicious hot sandwich.

If you find folks who know of spiedies, they are most likely originally from Binghamton in Broome County, New York, or they know someone who is. Broome County is in New York's Southern Tier, southeast of the Finger Lakes and just north of Pennsylvania. People who live in the area eat them at restaurants, from street vendors, buy from supermarkets, and even make their own at backyard cookouts. Spiedies have been completely integrated into the food culture of the region, and natives who have moved away from the area have been known to have commercial spiedie sauce shipped, by the case, to their new homes.

An annual three-day community gathering is held featuring hot air balloons, live music, and hundreds of varieties of spiedies cooked and sold by countless vendors. The weekend of entertainment and fun always concludes with the Spiedie Cook-Off on Sunday.

They originated with Binghamton’s Italian immigrant population in the 1920s. Augustine Iacovelli from Endicott, New York is believed to have popularized the Spiedie by introducing them in his restaurant, called Augies, in 1939. The original sauce, which he called Zuzu, was wine vinegar, water, lemon juice, garlic and mint. His spiedies caught on so well among the local railroad workers and shoemakers that for years every little corner grocery had a spiedie stand on the street in front of it.

© copyright 2004 by Linda Stradley - United States Copyright TX 5-900-517- All rights reserved.
    "There’s a lot of work being done today that doesn’t have any soul in it. The technique may be the utmost perfection, yet it is lifeless. It doesn’t have a soul. I hope my furniture has a soul to it." - Sam Maloof
    The Pessimist complains about the wind; The Optimist expects it to change;The Realist adjusts the sails.~ William Arthur Ward

bethel springs TN, but was born and raised in north east PA
    Yep i was born in waverly NY, grew up just across the border in PA and have ate them all my life. They also have the best Italian cooking in the USofA IMHO. Most of my family still lives there and every time i go back home it's the only place i'll go to eat. Well not counting my moms and brothers and sisters.

Grew up in the Northwest. Never heard of a Spiedie Sandwich before.
    I don't see what the big deal is. I licked the picture Brent posted and if anything, tasted a little dusty. I don't see what you guys are making a fuss about if that's how it tastes. Oh, and now I have a dirty computer screen.

Wish one was around here, looks really good!
    That's not even a smile! That's just a bunch of teeth playing with my mind!

the 'original' claim was per the counter people when I had lunch there last summer. Hence the quotes.

That's over in Chenango Bridge on the north end of Front St.
    -Ned

Well, I've never had an original Spiedie, but I'll take Brent's again, any day.

Kind of like the fact that Brent has never had Cincinnati chili, but I've coached him on it (using various recipes) and I love the stuff he makes. He cans it in big batches.

And the Barstow Del Taco is the original and is not part of the chain. When we used to go visit parents, all lunches were held there. Granted, it's still American-style Mexican, but super good unlike the rest of the chain (which is still a step up from Taco Bell).

somewhere east of Queen Creek, AZ - South East of Phoenix
    Quote Originally Posted by Sharon Korn View Post
    (which is still a step up from Taco Bell).
    "There’s a lot of work being done today that doesn’t have any soul in it. The technique may be the utmost perfection, yet it is lifeless. It doesn’t have a soul. I hope my furniture has a soul to it." - Sam Maloof
    The Pessimist complains about the wind; The Optimist expects it to change;The Realist adjusts the sails.~ William Arthur Ward

We made ours with Lamb. The sure turned out good.

What is the current preferred meat for a spiedie?

We typically do lambs in a persian style marinade of yogurt/olive oil/onions/mint and few other spices.

The spiedie was a nice change of pace.

Gotta love meat cooked on a stick...
    Programmer - An organism that turns coffee into software.
    If all your friends are exactly like you, What an un-interesting life it must be.
    "A door is what a dog is perpetually on the wrong side of" Ogden Nash