Hey Brent...

Very cool! Thanks Ned!!!

I don't know if our spiedies were traditional or not, but they sure were good...

attachment.php

Attachments

• FWW-2956.jpg
    FWW-2956.jpg
    100.1 KB · Views: 91
Hey Ned i thought Lupo's was the original? I just did a search and they started there's in 1951 on wilson st in Endicott. Not sure of the pic you got there but it looks familiar. Havn't been there in a lot of years but boy does that sound good. It sounds so good we just ordered 2 gals of there sauce. If i could have just one meal in my life it would be a spiedie sandwich. Now i sure do like the state fair sauce also, not sure what i like better so i'll take 2 of each.:rofl: Man don't do that to me again when i live 1200 miles away.:rofl::rofl:
Steve

Spiedie Sandwich (SPEE-dee) – The name comes from the Italian spiedo meaning “kitchen cooking spit.” Originally made from lamb, they are now made with virtually any meat. It is chunks of lamb, pork, chicken, beef, or venison that has been marinated for days in a tart sauce and then grilled on a metal skewer, usually over charcoal or gas. The traditional way of serving is between sliced Italian bread with extra sauce poured on top. The Spiedie, skewer and all, is then inserted in sliced Italian bread. The bread is used as a sort of mitt, wrapping around the meat. Pull out the skew and you then have a wonderful and delicious hot sandwich.

If you find folks who know of spiedies, they are most likely originally from Binghamton in Broome County, New York, or they know someone who is. Broome County is in New York's Southern Tier, southeast of the Finger Lakes and just north of Pennsylvania. People who live in the area eat them at restaurants, from street vendors, buy from supermarkets, and even make their own at backyard cookouts. Spiedies have been completely integrated into the food culture of the region, and natives who have moved away from the area have been known to have commercial spiedie sauce shipped, by the case, to their new homes.

An annual three-day community gathering is held featuring hot air balloons, live music, and hundreds of varieties of spiedies cooked and sold by countless vendors. The weekend of entertainment and fun always concludes with the Spiedie Cook-Off on Sunday.

They originated with Binghamton’s Italian immigrant population in the 1920s. Augustine Iacovelli from Endicott, New York is believed to have popularized the Spiedie by introducing them in his restaurant, called Augies, in 1939. The original sauce, which he called Zuzu, was wine vinegar, water, lemon juice, garlic and mint. His spiedies caught on so well among the local railroad workers and shoemakers that for years every little corner grocery had a spiedie stand on the street in front of it.

© copyright 2004 by Linda Stradley - United States Copyright TX 5-900-517- All rights reserved.

Grew up in the Northwest. Never heard of a Spiedie Sandwich before.
I don't see what the big deal is. I licked the picture Brent posted and if anything, tasted a little dusty. I don't see what you guys are making a fuss about if that's how it tastes.:huh::huh: Oh, and now I have a dirty computer screen.

Wish one was around here, looks really good!

Well, I've never had an original Spiedie, but I'll take Brent's again, any day.

Kind of like the fact that Brent has never had Cincinnati chili, but I've coached him on it (using various recipes) and I love the stuff he makes. He cans it in big batches.

And the Barstow Del Taco is the original and is not part of the chain. When we used to go visit parents, all lunches were held there. Granted, it's still American-style Mexican, but super good unlike the rest of the chain (which is still a step up from Taco Bell). :thumb::thumb::thumb:

We made ours with Lamb. The sure turned out good.

What is the current preferred meat for a spiedie?

We typically do lambs in a persian style marinade of yogurt/olive oil/onions/mint and few other spices.

The spiedie was a nice change of pace.

Gotta love meat cooked on a stick... :thumb:

heres the recipe from the same article.

Spiedie Sandwich Recipe - How To Make A Spiedie Sandwich

Recipe Type: Sandwich, Beef, Wraps
Yields: 6 servings
Prep time: 20 min
Cook time: 8 min

Ingredients:

2 pounds meat (chicken, lamb, pork or beef), cut into 1 1/2-inch cubes*
1 cup extra-virgin olive oil
1/4 cup freshly-squeezed lemon juice
3/4 cup red wine vinegar
2 tablespoons granulated sugar
4 cloves garlic, minced
1 bay leaf
1/4 teaspoon red (cayenne) pepper
1 1/2 teaspoons dried thyme
1 1/2 teaspoons dried basil
1 1/2 teaspoons dried oregano
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon coarsely-ground pepper
1 loaf Italian or French bread, thickly sliced
Metal Skewers

* Use boneless and skinless chicken breasts, pork tenderloin, top round steak, or leg of lamb.

Preparation:

In a large bowl, combine olive oil, lemon juice, vinegar, and sugar. Add garlic, bay leaf, red pepper, thyme, basil, oregano, salt and pepper; stir until well blended.

Place prepared meat in a large resealable plastic bag set into a shallow dish. Pour marinade mixture over meat and close bag. Marinate in the refrigerator for a least 24 hours and up to 3 days; turn bag occasionally to distribute marinade. Remove meat from refrigerator and let stand in marinade at room temperature for 2 hour; drain, reserving marinade.

Preheat barbecue grill. Thread 4 to 5 cubes of meat onto each metal skewer. Place onto hot grill and cook 8 to 10 minutes or until done to your preference, basting with reserved marinade. Remove from grill and serve immediately.

To serve, fold the bread over the contents of the skewer and pull the skewer out, leaving the meat sandwiched within the bread.

Makes 6 servings.

Never heard of a spiedie, but it looks good. :thumb:

...And the Barstow Del Taco is the original and is not part of the chain. When we used to go visit parents, all lunches were held there. Granted, it's still American-style Mexican, but super good unlike the rest of the chain (which is still a step up from Taco Bell). :thumb::thumb::thumb:

I pretty much swore off Del Taco a few months ago after getting a mild case of food poisoning from some funky lettuce on a couple of their tacos. (Tasted strange at the time...I should have followed my intuition.) :rolleyes: But they are indeed a step up from Taco Bell. ;)

I pretty much swore off Del Taco a few months ago after getting a mild case of food poisoning from some funky lettuce on a couple of their tacos. (Tasted strange at the time...I should have followed my intuition.) :rolleyes: But they are indeed a step up from Taco Bell. ;)

That's why the Barstow area ones are the only ones to go to. I think on their tacos (which are about double the size of the equiv. chain one), you only get meat, cheese and tomatoes, no lettuce, which is what I prefer.

Yeah, Sharons family has always been nutty about the Barstow Del Taco's.

I have to admit there is no comparison to any of the other Del Tacos I've ever been at to the ones on Barstow. They may share the same name, but they are not the same.

Order extra cheese in barstow and you would swear someone in wisconsin put the cheese on your taco.

Order extra cheese anywhere else and they see "X CHEESE" on the screen and think it means "NO CHEESE"....

Definitely a different philosophy in Barstow...

I dont recall eating there Ned. My son graduated suny Binghamton and I passed through there for 5 years going up to my daughter while she went to school.My son took us to so many places to eat. Johnson city etc.....
I just remember eating at the Rib and spiedie place on Vestal Pwky a few blocks from the colleges main entrance.
Whenever we'd get up there past 9 pm, the only 2 places left open to eat(besides pizza) was the rib place or wendys.

Yep Ned my wifes folks are from port dick area which is just a few blocks from chenango bridge. I have a brother that lives a few blocks from the Oak dale mail, And a SIL and same brother that has and still works at Suny Binghamton. I've built many homes back in that area in the 80's when me and my 2 brothers had our own buisness.I LOVE SPIEDIES.:rofl::rofl::rofl:

mmmMMMmmmm.... spiedies

Back in summer 2008 the charity cross-country bike ride I was in passed directly south through Binghamton. Slept at the Chenango Forks high school. First and only time I've had a spiedie. I think I ate two. :thumb: