Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Baby gift ideas

Baby gift ideas

A lady I work with is expecting her first child. She is a super nice person and I would like to make her a baby gift, but I have no idea what to make. I've knocked around everything from a picture frame to a cradle. I'm stumped. What have you made for a baby gift? She isn't due til September.

somewhere east of Queen Creek, AZ - South East of Phoenix
    I did a cradle for my grand daughter. Course shes six now so it become a doll bed.
    "There’s a lot of work being done today that doesn’t have any soul in it. The technique may be the utmost perfection, yet it is lifeless. It doesn’t have a soul. I hope my furniture has a soul to it." - Sam Maloof
    The Pessimist complains about the wind; The Optimist expects it to change;The Realist adjusts the sails.~ William Arthur Ward

Thanks Don,

A cradle is toward the top of the list. The only thing with a cradle is that most don't get used very long before they're outgrown. Your granddaughter's idea for babies would let it be used longer.

somewhere east of Queen Creek, AZ - South East of Phoenix
    Actually I made this one larger then normal and she was able to use it for a few months.
    "There’s a lot of work being done today that doesn’t have any soul in it. The technique may be the utmost perfection, yet it is lifeless. It doesn’t have a soul. I hope my furniture has a soul to it." - Sam Maloof
    The Pessimist complains about the wind; The Optimist expects it to change;The Realist adjusts the sails.~ William Arthur Ward

I've seen some beautiful turned rattles
    Jesus was a Woodworker

Fruit wood for baby rattles is what I always read.

Just ran across a set of plans for a cradle that knocked down and stored flat. American Woodworker I believe. Will see if I can find it. If you are interested, pm me your mailing address, when I find it I will photocopy it and mail it to you.
    Jon

God and family, the rest is icing on the cake. I'm so far behind, I think I'm in first place!

Host of the 2015 FAMILY WOODWORKING GATHERING

build her a nice dovetailed toy chest, shes gonna need it soon enough.

How about a memories or keepsake box. A place to keep all of baby's firsts; Christening papers, candles, shawl, hospital cap etc.

Vancouver Island, Courtenay/Comox Valley, British Columbia
    John, one of the nicest baby gifts that I got for my son, and I still have it (and he's 24) was a set of blocks. Each block is about 2" square. Each block has a letter on one side and a number on the opposite side. All the blocks fit neatly in 3 rows on a little wood wagon with wood wheels about 18' long X 8" wide, or something like that. There must be one extra block to make 3 rows of 9. There's a place on one end where you can tie a short cord if you want to pull it around. It's something he and his sister played with for years, and he kept it on his bookshelf throughout high school.

Just a thought....
    AKA Young Grasshopper Woodworker
    AKA The Rookie

Spitting distance north of Detroit Michigan
    I had an Aunt {or cousin maybe can't recall} who received a wooden wet-wipe dispenser thingy, it was a cover/concealer with, IIRC, a brass sleeve in the top where the wipes came thru...been many a moon since I've seen it, but they were still using it last I did, years after receiving it...just a thought.
    The perception of perfection is perfectly clear to everyone else