Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can someone tell me the differance between...on 3phase?

Can someone tell me the differance between...on 3phase?

Can someone tell me the difference between a rotary phase converter and a static phase converter? Is one better than the other?

I can not get 3phase to my house because "it's against our principle" according to the power company what ever that means.

I would be running an 8hp 3phase motor and possibly a 5hp motor (not at the same time). Also, would I need one for every piece of equipment (ie 2 3phase tools) or could I wire it into a branch off the electrical box?

Thanks!

Brian
    That's not even a smile! That's just a bunch of teeth playing with my mind!

somewhere east of Queen Creek, AZ - South East of Phoenix
    a static phase converter does not make a true sign wave but uses transitors to replicate three phase power. A rotory phase converter is actually is a 1 phase motor that drives a 3 phase generator. the 3 phase produced from it is realy a true sinasoidle power. the static is cheaper and usually limited to smaller load while the rotory is used on larger loads. you would run either one off of your 1 phase panel and provide branch circuit protection to each load.
    "There’s a lot of work being done today that doesn’t have any soul in it. The technique may be the utmost perfection, yet it is lifeless. It doesn’t have a soul. I hope my furniture has a soul to it." - Sam Maloof
    The Pessimist complains about the wind; The Optimist expects it to change;The Realist adjusts the sails.~ William Arthur Ward

Didn't Jeff build a converter a while back? I think he said it was easy, you just had to get a few simple things right. Or was that something else?

There are some new static phase converters out that are supported to be better than rotary phase converters. I will try to find the link if I can.

(edit)
    Well no luck I thought I had it bookmarked but seem to have lost it.
    Last edited by Jay Caughron; 04-16-2011 at 02:11 AM.
    A Turn N Time
    Components for John Smith Organs and the Hobby Organ Builder

Frog Pond Guitars

Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.

In my shop I have a 20 HP rotary converter which eeds a 3phase panel and then the 3 phase machines are wired to that panel. It works great.

I haven't personally built one, but had this conversation before. This is a general sense of what I learned talking with some guys that ran a little machine shop and made their own:

If you are making your own, there is an art to "balancing the load" I was just told get someone that knows what they're doing to do the initial setup for you off the taps. I think it's balancing the voltage from phase to phase based off the tap locations on the motor.
    A lot of static types are rated on operating loads, not startup. Some requrie you to oversize the static converters by about 1/3 larger than the motor you are running.
    Make sure you have enough power to run the thing. It takes a lot of amps to run 8hp motors from a 220 panel.
    Last edited by Jeb Taylor; 04-16-2011 at 04:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Lantry View Post
    Didn't Jeff build a converter a while back? I think he said it was easy, you just had to get a few simple things right. Or was that something else?
    If you mean me, yes I built one a while back from plans a buddy of mine designed. His are Cadillac models. Took me a while to scrounge up the parts (EBay mainly) and lucked up on the motor.

Brian, basically 3 phase is 3 hot wires going to the motor as opposed to 2 for 110/220. You can run a 3 phase motor on 2 legs once you get it running. Static convertors typically just temporarily generate 3 legs long enough to start the motor and it runs on 2 legs and your getting about 2/3's it HP.

A rotary fires up 3 phase motor, then it runs that motor on 2 legs and uses the 3rd as a generator. That creates the 3rd electric leg for your machine while your 220 service provides the other 2 legs. So you get full rated HP of the motor.

Keep in mind there are a lot of cheap made Rotaries out there. That is why I built mine. It wasn't that hard but I find this kind of stuff fairly easy. But it did take me a while to wrap my head around the schematics and to understand how to assemble all the parts.

PS You would probably need at least a 10 hp motor on your rotary to start that big motor. A lot depends on how well the unit is built and how efficient it is. A cheap one might have to be 15 hp rotary motor. Running more than one at a time usually isn't a problem, it actually make then run better. It's just getting the biggest one started that could be an issue.
    Last edited by Jeff Horton; 04-16-2011 at 03:03 AM.
    God grant me the senility to forget the people I never liked anyway,
    the good fortune to run into the ones I do,
    and the eyesight to tell the difference.

Kudzu Craft Lightweight Skin on frame Kayaks.
    Custom built boats and Kits

Quote Originally Posted by Al killian View Post
    In my shop I have a 20 HP rotary converter which eeds a 3phase panel and then the 3 phase machines are wired to that panel. It works great.
    Wow, what feeds that 20 HP motor? Is it a single phase 230V supply? That would be at least 70 amps, maybe 80 at full load. And where do you find a single phase 20 HP motor? That must be about the biggest single phase motor they build.

Mike
    Ancora imparo
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Spitting distance north of Detroit Michigan
    Great explanation Jeff, Thanks for that!
    not that I needed the info, but now I'll know when I read or hear about it...
    this site is such a wealth of knowledge, what a family!!!
    The perception of perfection is perfectly clear to everyone else

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Henderson View Post
    Wow, what feeds that 20 HP motor? Is it a single phase 230V supply? That would be at least 70 amps, maybe 80 at full load. And where do you find a single phase 20 HP motor? That must be about the biggest single phase motor they build.

Mike
    Don't you use a 3 phase motor to build these? But yeah I bet it pulls some serious power.