To tide a few over{hopefully}

Seen some interest in the interview section and thought I'd try an lend some support :thumb:

'An interview with Bubba' the hillbilly woodworker
Brought to you by 'Stumpy's finger protectors'

Interviewer: Welcome Bubba, thanks for your time, and for putting a shirt on and losing that wad of chew.
Let's begin with the standard question of how long have you been working in the field?

Bubba: The field??? I thought we's was gunna tawk woodwork. I ben in da feeld since the cows cum home this mornin.

Interviewer: Didn't mean to confuse you Bubba, I meant the field of woodworking!

Bubba: Ya meens thair is a field for doing wood work? I ulways did mines in the barn.

Interviewer: OK, let me rephrase this...How long Bubba, have you been doing woodwork as a profession?

Bubba: Oh I'm no professor at it, thats fur shure! I just scratch out a few dollars here and there. You know
enough to make the still's copper line ends meet. I beena dewing it fur bac as I kin rememer.

Interviewer: Hmmm, this is going to be quite interesting...Tell us Bubba, what put you on the path to becoming a
full time woodworker?

Bubba: Oh I don't dew it full time, just 10 or 12 hours a day after the chores are dun. And buy the weigh, thar's no path to it at all,
the barns right thar next to the outhouse, keep yer feet on that thar ol' plank and yer feet whoant get all muddy.

Interviewer: Again, I'm sorry Bubba, I was referring to what got you started in woodworking?

Bubba: Oh that! Well, that would be indoor plumbing!

Interviewer: indoor plumbing???

Bubba: Yepsir, on's the account we's didn't have eny wen we moved in. Sew I had's to improvize one. The neyburs waz so danged empressed
buy et, that we figued I should go in bizyness fur meself.

Interviewer: So your saying you started an outhouse business?

Bubba: Yepsir, was flowing right along until I started promoting my new 2 story design, things sorta fell thru after that you might sey. So with
the missy about to squirt out our 11th rugrat, I knew I had do dew sumthin an dew it fast. That's wen I desided to branch out into billding
other nasessitys, like kabenets and corrals, oops yer city-slicker readers might reefer to corrals as cribs or playpens, cribs to us folks outback here,
are for storing corn for mash, and the only playpen I can recall was one that had a pitcher of a gal in a swimmin hole soot and when's ya turned the pen
upside down, durn enough if her swimmin soot didn't disapeer and leave her thar in her birfday soot.

Interviewer: Let's move on Bubba shall we...how about telling us about your shop and the machines you use.

Bubba: Well, I don't have a shop, shucks I don't even like shoppin, that thar the lil missy handles, once or twice a year wena we all go to town fur a bath.
And I aint's got no machine like them big city fellers do. Fur them things I can't do with my axe or hammer, I useyouly rig up a feeu odd's n ends to run
off the pto on ol' bessey...that's the nicname I gave my tractor, kuz it reminds me of my furst luv, Bessey may, yep they are about the same size and strength
and their growl sounds the same...starting that ol tractor was kinna simalar to feelin a lil frisky back then, ya know...bessie may or Bessie mae not...yuk yuk yuk

Interviewer: Bubba, I hate to say this...but we're going to have to wrap this up for now, any tips you care to leave for our readers?

Bubba: Tips? They ain't dun nuttin butt reed, they-un's shud be the wuns tipping me!

as funny as that is, real people can be just as funny.

I was at a sweet sixteen around 2 years ago.

I was fairly new to hardwoods, but been woodworking making outdoor stuff for a couple of years.

I had made a set of adirondack chairs for the kids parents who were throwing the party.
When getting introduced to some of the relatives, the father introduced me to one of the great uncles over here visiting from Italy, and introduced me as the guy who made those chairs for us.
He told me the uncle was a carpenter for many years as a younger man back in the old country.
The old mans accent was very heavy and he hardly spoke any english.
This was somewhat how the conversation went.
old man:"you carpenter?"
Me:"no, but I like to build things and I make alot of adirondack chairs and outdoor furniture"
Old man:me, I was carpenter, learned from my father, he learned from his father, thats what my family do"
Me:"I wish I had someone who taught me about tools and how to build things"
old man:"my father show me one day, next day I go to work with him so we make money, I was still teenager"
Me:"what kind of things did you make, build?"
old man:"we make what we get paid for"
me:"did you have any type of favorite, or what did you like to build the most"
old man;" I like when I get paid, no matter what I make"
Me: "I like making adirondack chairs, did you ever build any chairs?
old man: "yes, I build one for my brother"
me:"thats nice, a gift, what kind of chair was it?"
old man:"no, no gift, it was a chair to sit on so brother dont sit on cold floor when he eat. alot of children in my house, not enough chairs, brother sit on floor to eat so I make him chair"
me:"where did you get your tools from, did you have to buy all of them?"
old man" we make tools, or when someone dies we share his tools"

and thats about how my conversation went, Ken would have a ball interviewing a guy like this. He was dead serious, didnt look at woodworking as anything but a way to keep his belly full.
didnt understand the concept of woodworking for fun.

in the end, he told me he stopped carpentry and became a housepainter and wall paper hanger, more money in it for him and better life for his family.