Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Island, or continent? (was, bowed plywood)

Inside the Beltway

Island, or continent? (was, bowed plywood)

Well, dang. This is what happens when you put off a project too long, finally decide to do it, go out and look for the materials you bought who knows how long ago, and find out your storage methods were less than ideal! Rats! That plywood was 40 bucks a sheet.

I was determined to not be defeated!

First step: clean off the 'assembly table!'

Attachment 56077

Then I built some four foot I-beams:

Attachment 56078

First piece of plywood. Look at that bow! Imagine using that as a bed for setting tile! I'd be divorced in three minutes flat!

Attachment 56079

Both pieces set up:

Attachment 56080

Glued and clamped.

Attachment 56081

Added some weight. And popped it in a few dozen places with 1 1/4 inch nails. "Until the glue dries!"

Attachment 56082

More weight!

Attachment 56083

Took a few pictures of springtime while the glue set up.

Attachment 56085

Finished. Nice and flat!

Attachment 56084

This time, at least, I survived the struggle. And so did my marriage...

Reno NV
    Looks like you succeeded!

What is the ultimate destiny of those pieces of ply?
    Programmer - An organism that turns coffee into software.
    If all your friends are exactly like you, What an un-interesting life it must be.
    "A door is what a dog is perpetually on the wrong side of" Ogden Nash

Inside the Beltway
    So, if you've forgotten (and yes, it's been a while ) this is what I'm replacing. It served us well for years, but nothing lasts forever:

Attachment 56086

I'm going to reuse those cabinets, but she wants them completely reconfigured. The middle one, "B," becomes A, C moves to B, A becomes C. Makes perfect sense, don't you think?

It means I have to reface the fridge side of what was B, and the opposite side of what was A. Darn it. And rewire everything, etc.

Attachment 56087

A peek at the guts.

Attachment 56088

What kind of joker built this, in the first place? What a doofus!

Attachment 56089

It gets worse:

Attachment 56090

I guess it made sense at the time?

Attachment 56091

This is what happens when you look under the rug. *Never* look under the rug! If you look closely, you'll see a can of baby formula. James is now six!

Attachment 56092

Careful, structured, well organized planning is the key to a successful project!

Attachment 56094

But no battle plan survives contact with the enemy. In this case, the enemy is hand-made tile. Every single one is different. Three hours of layout and rearrangement, just to determine where to cut the underlay!

Attachment 56095

Don't worry, it's about to get worse. Way worse!

ABQ NM
    It's OK guys, I brought enough to share...

You can (and will) get 'er done, Bill.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

somewhere east of Queen Creek, AZ - South East of Phoenix
    Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn McMillan View Post

You can (and will) get 'er done, Bill.
    Of course he will he's got doorlink uh....... cheering him on.
    "There’s a lot of work being done today that doesn’t have any soul in it. The technique may be the utmost perfection, yet it is lifeless. It doesn’t have a soul. I hope my furniture has a soul to it." - Sam Maloof
    The Pessimist complains about the wind; The Optimist expects it to change;The Realist adjusts the sails.~ William Arthur Ward

London, Ontario
    Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn McMillan View Post
    Did you?

There's usually more than one way to do it... ........

Inside the Beltway
    Thanks for the popcorn, guys, but I'm on a diet. Doorlink's orders!

Anyway, back to it. The island had to spend a little time in the shop, getting cleaned up and getting the new end panels fitted:

Attachment 56120

Back it the kitchen, those panels look pretty good:

Attachment 56121

I seriously thought I had more clamps. I think a six year old squirrel got his hands on a few.

Attachment 56122

Mind this gap: it's gonna be important later.

Attachment 56123

Now, which screws to use? You'd think I'd have every kind known to man!

Attachment 56124

And I've got two drawers with even more. Dang! Finally settled on some exterior screws I had left over. They're the right length, and they'll blend in. Kind of. Oh, and they don't break off in face frames, the way stainless steel
    screws do!

Attachment 56125

Clamp firmly. Drill nice deep pilot holes. Dip the screws in wax. Use the right bit. May as well, it comes with the screws...

Attachment 56126

Now's the time to use those expensive countersink bits you bought...

Attachment 56127

Of course, they didn't work. Back in the box they went. Used a larger drill bit for the countersink. Inelegant, but it worked.

Inside the Beltway
    There's more trouble. How this happens, I'll never know, but the faceframe slipped a little, even while it was clamped. She'd notice that in a micro-second, and I'd never hear the end of it!

Attachment 56134

Dang! It's off by at least 1/64th of an inch!

Attachment 56135

Take the screw out, reclamp, redrill, rescrew. Much better.

Attachment 56136

But what to do about the hole? Put the screw back. If she notices, tell her it needed extra strength!

Attachment 56137

Finished just in time! Notice she's still smiling...

Attachment 56138

That gap I mentioned before? It's half an inch. The cabinets are designed to be screwed into a back wall. Without that extra support, they get pretty flimsy. They're just half inch ply, after all. So I need something that fits exactly between them. Like maybe some half inch MDF, raised off the floor in case of rising water levels.

Attachment 56139

Need to cut a hole for the fan. No-one will ever notice it's not round!

Attachment 56140

Ready to lower into place, and screw together:

Attachment 56141

This is actually the second one. The bessey clamps hold the whole thing together, but I'm using the trigger clamps to take an existing bow out.

Attachment 56142

And we're done with this part. Looks good.

Attachment 56143

Next up, electrical connections, etc...

Last edited by Bill Lantry; 04-18-2011 at 01:17 PM.

Inside the Beltway
    So, I started rewiring. Big hassle, but got it all done. GFCI, 12/2 w/g, the whole nine yards. Doorlink approved the placement of the outlets. I even used wireclips to keep the romex nice and tidy, even though no-one would ever see it.

Not good enough! She didn't like the new work box, even though it was blue. And she certainly didn't like seeing the romex. So its undo everything, and off to the depot for a new art deco box, and new wire track. Long story short: two days to rewire one silly island. Dang!

Attachment 56370

Went to measure for the new back panel, and found the whole thing was out of square. More clamps!

Attachment 56371

The work continues, even as Easter dinner is cooking. That's not a manual, that's Julia Child! With notes!

Attachment 56372

Caution. Doorlink at work!

Attachment 56373

Cutting the back panel from some nice maple ply.

Attachment 56374

Final trim for the island top / tile base. A good reason to have the festool 75, instead of the 55.

Attachment 56375

The top in place.

Attachment 56376

It's giant!

Attachment 56377

You could land a light aircraft on that thing.

Attachment 56378

The island that ate the kitchen!

Attachment 56379

Oh, boy. This is trouble. Again!

Inside the Beltway
    Much hemming and hawing. Finally, the decision arrives: one row less of tile across the length, one less across the width. Since I can't lift the top by myself, I decide to trim it in place:

Attachment 56380

It raised a little dust. More than a little....

When I got the festool, I wanted the little dust collector attachment. But it was three or four hundred bucks, so that wasn't happening. Anyway, as soon as I started cutting, a few words were said, just loud enough so I could understand them through my hearing protection!

The star of this picture is not the pretty girl, but what's behind her: the vacuum cleaner. Turns out the hose fits the festool exactly! Problem solved.

Attachment 56381

Last time I cut a hole like this, I used a jigsaw. Of course, the blade deflected, so the cut wasn't plumb, and the line wasn't exactly straight. No such problem with the festool at hand. Perfect. Except at the very corners. Even though I set the saw to its deepest plunge, it left a little arc of wood at the bottom of each corner. Neander time!

Attachment 56382

The cement board going on. Makes a good underlayment for the tile. But how to keep it from drifting while I get the screws in? Got out my 23 gauge pinner, and popped the pieces into place. Worked like a dream!

Attachment 56383

I love those little litium ion drills, but they're not up to this job. Hammer drill time! With an actual cord, and a real chuck. Now, that's a serious tool.

Attachment 56384

A good shot of the new size. The work went quickly, even though I drilled pilot holes, then hammer drilled the special screws in.

Attachment 56385

The temporary edging has to be exactly the right height if the tile's to be set well. Later, it will be replaced with curly maple, but that would get trashed by the tile setting process.

Attachment 56386

That hammer drill makes a ton of noise, and the air nailer that puts the edging on ain't quiet either. But #5 Son was facebooking through all the commotion!

I couldn't stand the noise without my ear protection, but nobody else seems to mind. Actually, since my worktunes attaches to my android, I was listening to Carlos Fuentes talk about his new novel through the whole process, via podcast...

Next step: laying out and marking tile...

Attachment 56387