Flag display case build

Alan Bienlein

Well I finally started on Loml's flag display case for her Grandfathers military burial flag and his enlistment and discharge papers.

I have to give a special thanks to Larry for letting me tag along on his "Tour de Wood" visits as it allowed me to visit Shaz with him and receive a couple of pieces of mahogany Shaz was kind enough to give me and Norma that were perfect for this project. :wave:

I couldn't find a router bit profile I liked in all the router bits I had but if I held the wood at a 70 degree angle to this bit I got a profile I liked.
4-17-11 015.JPG
Here is the jig I made that slides on the fence that holds the wood at the proper angle.
4-17-11 003.JPG4-17-11 004.JPG
I set the saw blade and the fence and made a kerf in the pieces to minimize tear out.
4-17-11 005.JPG
Then I tilted the blade to a 45 degree angle and cut most of the waste material away so I could cut the profile in one pass.
4-17-11 006.JPG4-17-11 007.JPG
I clamped it in the jig resting on the lip on the bottom to get a consistent reference point and proceeded to do a climb cut and then without changing a thing pushed it back thru the bit and it shaved a hair more off to finish it off.
4-17-11 008.JPG4-17-11 009.JPG
4-17-11 013.JPG4-17-11 014.JPG

I then clamped the pieces in a jug I made for my chop saw to cut the 67.5 degree angles for the upper part for the flag.
4-17-11 010.JPG4-17-11 011.JPG
Here is a the upper part for the flag.
4-17-11 012.JPG
And a mock up of the whole display case.
4-17-11 016.JPG4-17-11 022.JPG
And a drawing of the profile I'm thinking of using on the two vertical pieces on the bottom part.
4-17-11 017.JPG

Very very nice Alan. After i saw the flag part the rest just made it even better.:thumb:

I really get a lot out of the demo of making the profile. I think its excellent that you show the fixture making parts just like Alex did in his guitar build. I need a constant reminder to take the time to do this and get better work in the process. Thanks. Will keep a look out for the rest of the project.:thumb:

That will be a family heirloom for generations. You are displaying the talent to make the case as treasured as the contents it displays. What a way to honor a man's service to his country. :thumb::thumb::thumb:

This sure is a nice gesture Alan. It gives me a couple of ideas. We lose so many memories to boxes in the basement. One like this means a lot. Would be a shame to bury it in a box. It is even nicer when there is a way to display it proudly.
The box looks real nice. Learning some from your jig too. Thanks.