Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A better day of turning

A better day of turning

So everyone here knows I've been laid up for a while. I was in a rut not being able to get around much. So before I was cut up, Vaughn and I made arrangements for another turning day. My wife, Stacey was dead set against it...but my warranty ran out a long time ago so she can't trade me in My son and I tossed my lathe and tools in the truck and I headed south. The drive of 3 hours with the seatback on the incisions was the worst part.
    As with the last time and I suspect the next, we chat a lot…turn a little…chat some more…turn something a bit more…chat about something else…pack up and hit it. No pic’s yet because my Moonscape isn’t done yet. But in the immortal Vaughn style…I came home with some cool chunks for later use. He also had a handful of pen blanks from Michael James for me. They'll come in handy if I learn how to make pens!
    Really…the trip renewed me and the 85 degree day helped sweat out some of the crap that no doubt is still floating around system. I felt so happy I went by the hospital today and had a great chat with all my friends. Stacey finally had to push me out, she knew I was tired.
    Thank you my friend… hope we have another one in us!
    Your Respiratory Therapist wears Combat boots

I had a great day, too. Just take your time, heal up good, and we'll surely have more chances to turn a little, chat a lot.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

A better day of turning

Jim, it sounds like you and Vaughn had a great time. Now, follow the advice given and take it easy, one day at a time. There will be plenty turnings to do for a long time to come.

Hope you are healing well, and fast.

Aloha my friend, Tony
    Last edited by Tony Baideme; 04-18-2011 at 06:48 AM.
    "You got to learn from the mistakes of others. You won't live long enough to make them all yourself". (Author unknown)

"Time flies like..... an arrow,,,Fruit flies like..... a banana." Groucho Marx

Ah,,,to live in Paradise!

Registered voting member

Fighting for all I am worth, and praying every day.

Good times had by all is always a good thing.
    If you don't take pride in your work, life get's pretty boring.

Rule of thumb is if you don’t know what tool to buy next, then you probably don’t need it yet.

You know what I forgot...he gave all my gouges the Tormek haircut...they are shaving sharp now!
    Your Respiratory Therapist wears Combat boots

Good times fellas

Jim. Were you able to maintain your dignity or did he make you stand up on a pallet to turn also?

Vaughn's is a great place to visit. Too bad it is so far from civilization.

Enjoy,

Jim
    First of all you have to be smarter than the machine.
    VOTING MEMBER

Quote Originally Posted by Jim C Bradley View Post
    Jim. Were you able to maintain your dignity or did he make you stand up on a pallet to turn also?...
    Man, this is the thanks I get for providing a high quality, finely crafted custom turning stand for my guests?

He brought his own lathe, so as not to suffer the humiliation of having to use a booster seat to turn at the big lathe. Plus, unlike some folks who've turned on my lathe, he's already tall enough to ride all the attractions at Disneyland. In fact, he can just about reach the On-Off switch on the headstock while standing flatfooted.

Jim, if I ever have a chance to get down to your part of SoCal, you can get your revenge by making me turn on your lowrider lathe. I'd still enjoy it. That Delta midi is a sweet lathe, regardless of the height it's set at.

workingwoods.com

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Burr View Post
    You know what I forgot...he gave all my gouges the Tormek haircut...they are shaving sharp now!
    And the other thing you forgot was the pretty-looking maple and redwood blanks that you brought down to show me. You left them on the tablesaw, so they're mine now. Bwahahahahahaha!

Which reminds me, did you find any usable stuff in the cutoff pile? I know you started looking, but I got distracted cutting the other chunks, so I never saw if you actually found anything to take home.

workingwoods.com

Jim, years back a friend of mine had back surgery. He was told not to overdo it, as he had so much pain that after the surgery he would be fooled into thinking that the lack of pain meant go full bore. Well, he didn't take their advice and overdid it and really ended up in a mess for a long time. I am of the understanding you are in the medical profession so I will assume you also make one of the worst patients. Be patient and don't overdo it. Love hearing about your visits with Vaughn, there will be plenty more time. The tormek haircut, that was priceless!!!! Glad to hear you are up and about, give your body time to heal.
    Jon

God and family, the rest is icing on the cake. I'm so far behind, I think I'm in first place!

Host of the 2015 FAMILY WOODWORKING GATHERING