Storing Lumber Outside?

What Larry said about bark removal.
If it's bare ground you'll be having under your plastic shelter, or your future, elegant wooden post and beam one, I'd be making your pile well up off the ground (6x6s across concrete blocks work well, nice and level) and put a plastic vapour barrier on the ground underneath.

Doing something to keep the bugs at bay is important when you set up long term storage. I had some 12/4 x 10" x 5' rifle stock blanks in premium birdseye maple stored in my loft in the barn and the powder post beetles found them. I salvaged the damaged blanks by cutting them into bowl blanks and filling the holes with copper dust after turning the bowls. All the same it was a bummer to find all those little holes in the wood. If you have lumber that comes with bug residents you can kill them by kiln drying or sometimes by covering the wood and sealing it under black plastic and leaving out in the hot sun to cook for a while. I think the bugs are killed when the temps reach 140 degrees or so. Otherwise spraying the wood with a boric acid solution should eventually kill them.