Spray water based polyurethane finish?

Dave, I agree that's true with nearly any waterbased finish, but I'm talking specifically about the WB lacquers from Target Coatings. I'm not basing my statement on 'book learning' but on what the manufacturer (and lots of professional woodworkers and finishers) say, and their recommended guidelines for using the products. If you're not familiar with their specific products, I'd suggest you check into them. ;)

dave i havnt used target coatings but i have talked with the guy that sells them.. he is a very knowledgeable fella.. talk with jeff jewwitt on this dave and you and his experience will get along just fine..:thumb::thumb:

Vaughn sorry I left out a big portion of what my mind was thinking but my fingers did not write. When I said you have to sand between coats and use a sealer I am referring to applying over an existing finishes { NOTE, NOT Newly applied finish. } Sure burn-in's you do not need to sand between coats unless you chose to. I do for one main reason, Orange peel. I did read the Target spread on Acrylic Lacquer but it's not my cup of tea. I would have to rest it to see if it gives a plastic look. One thing I notice with my customer base over the years. When I walk into a home and look around I want to know if the customer is plastic or traditional ? Do they want Quality or are they looking for the QUICK JOB ? I usually do not get the QUICK JOBS for finishing. But I have use Acrylic finishes on Kitchen cabinets.

Last edited:
Yes, I did solowoodworker.com to consolidate the answers I gave repeatedly on this and other forums, and have updated it as I have learned, or as kind people like Cynthia White have pointed out parts that are not complete or clear. Your suggestions and critique are most welcome. (you as in y'all).

And properly applied, I do not find that the acrylic lacquer gives a plastic look - I have a hard time distinguishing between it and solvent lacquer.