I'm a hillbilly too!! Thanks Ken!!

Brian Altop

Well, when my little TS bit the dust took it in to be fixed and the place I take it too is no longer in business. So I borrowed my dad's old tiny, tiny, skillsaw table saw.

Well, after using it a couple of times and gritting my teeth so I didn't teach my dog bad words I had to do something about the table and fence. The table insert is a piece of sheet metal that is lower than the rest of the table and not fixable, the fence sucks, etc. I have to wait till this weekend to get a new TS so this is what I came up with so I can finish some projects...

saw 1.jpg

This is my one mistake. These are the wrenches for changing the blade. I can not get to them, or the blade to change it out for that matter. Good thing I have a good combo blade on already!!

saw 2.jpg

This is the under side of the fence. Two strips of the HMW whatever tape (slippery plastic tape with adhesive backing.) One here and other at other end.

saw 3.jpg

This is the dust collection. I've gotta say, it works better than my Bosch did for dust collection. Basically Zero dust from the saw!

saw 4.jpg

Here is the final product. The wax was not dry yet for the picture but I wasn't going to wait. I only had my Renaissance wax and at $30 I wasn't going to use more than needed! The fence is square to the blade within .002 inch front and back of the blade, no flex at all. I used a 5/16 T-bolt and knob and incra track that I was going to use for my table saw sled I was going to fix (posted about a while back). Good thing I didn't play with the sled, I'm going to have to modify it to fit a new TS.

So, it's flat, square, no flex in the fence (though you have to use a tape measure) and works very well.

Not too bad for coming in 2nd behind Ken!!! :D:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

I started with that same model of saw. :D You were wise to modify it. I used mine a few times and decided it was an accident waiting to happen, mostly because of the wimpy fence and wide opening in the throat plate. Looks like you came up with a workable solution to your current problem, and handled the safety problems at the same time. :thumb:

I don't know if any project is so important that I would risk life and limb on that saw :D. Clever modification. Use sparingly. Don't become a statistic :thumb:

I don't know if any project is so important that I would risk life and limb on that saw :D. Clever modification. John is right; you should get credit for that design improvement. Use sparingly. Don't become a statistic :thumb:

Great fix Brian :thumb: hope yer paw's as proud as mine would be :D
and if {lordforbid} you new saw gets delayed, I believe I still have my wrenches from that thar's saw's cousin...be happy to send 'em if ya can use 'em :thumb:

One sad fact of my 'new' saw, is that the blade plate insert only has a 3/32's lip for supporting the insert, makes ZC inserts almost an impossible without machining the table itself or finding a machinist to make some...however...us hillbilly's don't give in so easily :rofl: You can see in the photo's, I took some lexan and added a plywood-backer and waa-laa back in biz :D:D...Shucks, t'weren't nothin :rofl:

mini-DSCF3400.jpg
mini-DSCF3399.jpg