Noi Pickup No Problem

Jay Lock

Hi everyone

Well, I know I should have a pickup if I'm going to be a "real woodworker" but that isn't in the cards.

So when I have to lug big sheets of ply or a load of lumber I use this temporary rack I made out of 2x4s.View attachment 5161

There are two "C" brackets on each board, construction adhesive and drywall screws the "C" faces forward and the roof rack bar is captured by another block of wood secured with a drywall screw through the 2x4 into the bottom part of the "C"View attachment 5162

Then I load it up and secure with a bunch of clamps.

Don't drive more than 45 mph with this rig, but it gets the stuff home and I don't get TOO many funny looks :rofl:

Last edited:
Looks risky to me. I can't imagine life without a pick-up. But even for a small car, you could have a hitch installed and get a small trailer. A 4'X8' tilt trailer costs (around here) about $450.00 and can be used for a lot of things besides wood.

Frank

Yes, but then, where would I put the trailer? We live on a very small piece of property, corner lot, not a lot of free space and SWMBO is not going to be happy with a trailer in the front lawn.

Actually when the whole thing is clamped down it is very rigid, much more so than tying stuff to the roof rack. And the roof rack locks into threaded portions of the car's frame so they aren't going anywhere.

So far, so good.

Jay

PS When I have big loads to haul I cajole a friend who has a pickup but I don't want to be a pest............. besides buying him lunch as payment, I have to put up with 10 min or so of Real Men have pickups not those yuppie Volvo things" :rofl:

...Yes, but then, where would I put the trailer?
On the roof rack? :rofl:

Looks like a workable idea, Jay, although I'm not sure I understand the details of how the various pieces are attached to the roof rack. I've been hesitant to use a roof rack ever since my dad lost a couple suitcases from one at highways speed when I was a kid (about 1/4 mile of clothes, as I recall), but it looks like you've got a handy wat to attach wood long enough to get it home. Beats having it stick out a window. ;)

I sure do enjoy having the Ranger pickemup up truck, so I don't have to use my Lexus yuppiemobile as a lumber hauler anymore. :D (Thanks, Dad.) :thumb:

Jay, are you aware that most factory roof racks are only rated at 100# to 125#? Aftermarket racks have different ratings but most aren't much more, if any, than the factory weight limits. Most people don't take into consideration all the forces (like "lift", for one...) being applied to the stuff that gets put on top of and in the bed of our cars and trucks.

Just a note of caution. Liability to you if anything was to fly off could be devastating.

Last edited:
Vell now Lars that ther svedish Ford vould haul a bit more if youd ust cut off the back of the body ust like the Beverley Hillbillies den you ust built a wooden hinder end vith plenty ovf room.:wave: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

If you have a garage I did see where a guy hung 4 pulleys with hooks & ropes running to a boat winch on the wall & backed his little trailer under the hooks & lifted it up against the ceiling & backed his car under it. Hillbilly engineering just think outside of the box.:eek: :D

Last edited:
Frank

Yes, but then, where would I put the trailer? We live on a very small piece of property, corner lot, not a lot of free space and SWMBO is not going to be happy with a trailer in the front lawn.

Actually when the whole thing is clamped down it is very rigid, much more so than tying stuff to the roof rack. And the roof rack locks into threaded portions of the car's frame so they aren't going anywhere.

So far, so good.

Jay

PS When I have big loads to haul I cajole a friend who has a pickup but I don't want to be a pest............. besides buying him lunch as payment, I have to put up with 10 min or so of Real Men have pickups not those yuppie Volvo things" :rofl:

Is this the place where I start bragging about my 1 1/2 acres in the Ozarks surrounded by several hundred acres of woods, with creek, cliffs, etc? ;)
Naw, that would be rude. I won't do that. :rolleyes:

Nothing like being proud of your achievements and then many thinking it dumb. It sounds secure, and sure you drive carefully when loaded, so good job. There is a small 4X8 trailer sold by Harbor Freight that you can stand on its end and the tongue folds down so you can stand it against the wall of your garage under the eaves if you want.

Way to go Jay! A guy has to do what he has to do. I know.

I have the fold up trailer that you are talking about Jonathan. It works really good but I do get a little tired of setting it up at times. Doesn't take long but just a little pain. My next vehicle is going to be a pickup. I miss my old F150 even though it had so many miles on it that pieces were falling off.

Jay,

We used to do that all the time with my Dad's old Caprice. As you said, just we just took it slow. Just watch the weight - dear ol' Dad cracked the windshield twice by overloading the racks.:rolleyes::D Now, if you want to know how to carry half a ton of sandmix in a Maverick . . . .:eek:
Gee, how I've abused my cars.

Wes

Looks good to me Jay, I've been there and done that.

I have 4 racks on my little truck, not 2, this makes a large difference, in that the weight of the pieces is better supported, but I still do not haul a lot of weight on them, sure is convinient!

I have a trailer, but it is for motorcycles, so I do not use it much, besides, turning around and stuff, here in Japan, is a nightmare!

I'll put it this way, my licence number for my trailer is #76......and I asked, yep, they have issued a grand total of 76 trailer licences.......in Tokyo........ a city or 12 million.......:eek:

Lots of the Home Centers here have small pick up trucks that you can borrow for 1/2 or so for free if you buy a lot of stuff, and if you need it longer, it is $5 and hour, great idea, I think.

Keep on trucking Jay!! :thumb:

If you have a garage I did see where a guy hung 4 pulleys with hooks & ropes running to a boat winch on the wall & backed his little trailer under the hooks & lifted it up against the ceiling & backed his car under it.

I think that was the wood whisperer website? Cool video, cool idea. But his website is not responding right now, so I can't verify.
Edit: No it wasn't, must have been somewhere else.

Having four young children, I'm forced to own a minivan. (and I love the 8 passenger Toyota Sienna. Very versatile seating arrangements inside) so I usually have plenty of room inside. But even then, I still usually have the store make the first cut in a sheet of plywood, to make it easier to handle at home.

Last edited:
Way to go Jay! A guy has to do what he has to do. I know.

I have the fold up trailer that you are talking about Jonathan. It works really good but I do get a little tired of setting it up at times. Doesn't take long but just a little pain. My next vehicle is going to be a pickup. I miss my old F150 even though it had so many miles on it that pieces were falling off.

Even with a pick-em-up, I find trailers handy. I have two utility trailers I pull at (different ;) ) times. One is low and tilts for the ATV, lawnmower and other things, the other has sides, is ugly and old and is used for wood and junk. Until I recently sold my 16' foot stock trailer, I was much in demand for moving big stuff, like furniture. That fold/stand-up trailer sounds like a very handy item.

Jay,

Great Job.

All that matters is material from point A to B safely.

Back when I was young and poor, no make that poorer,

I only bought $100 cars and $500 pickups.

There was something always wrong with the trucks,

you know under construction wrong.

So, I would just take two inner tubes, 2/3 inflated,

put em on top of the car, load them with sheet and strap it down.

Worked fine.

Per

Jay's just pulling our legs, here's what really happened.

Lumber-Car-A.jpg

I am lucky in that I have only spent a couple of years of my life without a pickup. Now I have a gooseneck 24' flat deck trailer, a 26' gooseneck stock trailer, and a 20' 2 horse gooseneck trailer with living quarters. The odds and ends of wagons and trailers for the farm that aren't licensed for the road aren't counted here! Great picture Bill! Can't believe the roof held it sitting still! No load is safer than the tie downs. Last thing any of us need is an accident involving innocent people while we support our wood addiction.

well I have a pickup with a topper and it takes a half hour or so to empty the tools and stuff out , so I just hook up the trailer when I need sheet goods

(off course at the moment the trailer has a bathtub in it waiting for install , so I'm stuck either way) :rolleyes: