Some Hardware help needed

Jim Mattheiss

Hello:

A little over a month ago LOML bought a glass front cabinet that she thought was a mini barrister bookcase. Upon closer examination the doors are just hinged at the top. There is no mechanism to hold the door open when you lift it up.

This fact makes it hard to use the cabinet as you need to pull the door up and hold it open while using the other hand to load or unload something. I'm looking for some sort of inexpensive mechanism to allow us to pull the door up and have it "latch" in place and stay open. Lift it a little and push the latch up and the door will close.

I've spent a bit of time looking around the web and have not seen anything like what I'm looking for.

I don't want to pay a lot for this muffler!

Any suggestions out there?

Cheers

Jim

Don :

That might work . . .

I was thinking something more like this . . .

http://www.thehardwarehut.com/catalog-product.php?p_ref=259891

I was looking for something with a "lock" into position. I think these are more of a detent and might not hold the door open at 90 degrees. Since there is glass involved I'm being cautious. . .

This really calls for a trip to a Woodcraft or a Rockler to hold/play with the options.

If money we no option I'd go with something like this . . .

http://www.thehardwarehut.com/catalog-product.php?p_ref=194254

But 1 pair of those is more than I paid for the cabinet and I need 2 pairs. The nicest thing on the cabinet would be that hardware. . .

Of course a nice 1x2 prop stick with a birds mouth to grab the front lip for the bottom would work too . . . Hmmmm . . . :huh:

Maybe we should just sell it at the garage sale and move on . . .

Cheers

Jim

Don :

Of course a nice 1x2 prop stick with a birds mouth to grab the front lip for the bottom would work too . . . Hmmmm . . . :huh:

Jim

I was thinking more along the lines of some chain hung from the ceiling to the eye hook on the door. You could then hook up the chain via an 's' hook to what ever the height of the door you want!:D:

Sorry, no help here!