Dewalt 735 Table Adjusments

Tom Blank

A Dewalt DW735 planer showed up in my garage. I had a piece of 1x4 pine scrap I played with to see what it would do. Ran several 1/32" and 1/16" passes. Got a nice pile of chips in the driveway, a much thinner piece of scrap with a nice surface, and a pretty light snipe pattern about 3" in from the end.

I don't have space for a dedicated planer stand with fixed in and out-feed tables, so ordered the Dewalt add-on fold-up kit. Those may not be perfect, but that are what I currently have the space for.

I thought I saw something here on the amount to adjust the tables up from perfectly flat in line with the planer table to effectively remove the snipe problem, but did not write it down and cannot find that thread again.

What's the correct amount to raise the outside edge of the tables, and are both in-feed and out-feed adjusted up the same amount?

Thanks for any advice and guidance,

Tom

Thanks

Thank you for the info. I was hoping for an easy answer. Guess I'll start at 1/32" and work up until it runs without sniping. I'd have been nervous about cranking them up by 1/4", but if that's what it takes...

Tom

I didn't open Bart's provided address until Larry's comment. Then I did open and read it. Now that author I can follow and understand. Who ever that is did an excellent job without putting it into engineer lingo. Thanks Bart and thanks Larry for inadvertently making me go back and read that. I saved it and will print it out later for my shop note book. :thumb::thumb::thumb: Tom, I think Bart nailed it for you on the details.

This just goes to show It's not what you know but if you know where to find the information. I met Dan at a woodworkers & turners BBQ & picnic several years ago but have lost contact with him.

I have started something that I highly recommend because might help each of us help each other. I have a folder on my computer labeled shop & in it folders with pictures of shop tools etc. along with a folder with in the folder of pictures labeled Planer info or table-saw info etc. where I store info like adjusting planer tables. I know some will say your to organized or that's to much work. It's really not especially when you need it for your self or want to help someone else.

Bart,
That was a very informative article... thanks... saved a copy to my "tutorials" file for future reference..

My Delta Planer (don't remember the model.. it's a 13 inch model) had instructions on leveling the in and out feed tables... I've worked on them off and on since I got the planer, but still get a little snipe at the start of a board... like Tom, I don't have room for a dedicated table or space for the planer... it usually goes on a saw horse table outside the shop so I can try to catch most of the chips on a tarp or else just leave them on the gravel outside the shop.... I also usually just cut my board a little long and watch the orientation so I can cut the sniped portion away... I only use the planer to set up boards for my pepper mills, never do much flat work.