Harring Bone flooring

Al killian

For those of you that have used/worked with it, what angle is it cut at? I want to try making some, just not sure what angle to cut it at.

It is all cut at 90, just turned so the pattern is at 45 with the room. All ends are 90 cuts though staggered on each other. The length of the individual slats must be a multiple of their width or the pattern won't work.

Brian

Hang on a second Brian. :wave:

Al, there are 2 commonly used patterns for "Herringbone".

This is the first one that Brian describes. It's the most traditional. All boards are 45 deg from your straight line reference (a wall), and each piece you put down is 90 deg from it's neighbor and parallel to the one behind it or in front of it.

There's a 2nd less traditional pattern also called a herringbone, or French herringbone, and sometimes called a chevron, that looks like this. Every board is also 45 deg from your straight line reference (wall), but with this one, each piece has 2 X 45 deg cuts on it.

:yes:

Around here ok in my small world both of what you posted are chevron. One with Herringbone joints and one with out.:thumb::thumb:
We used to run 4 or 5 strips of flooring all the way around the room as a border Herringboning the corners. Than lay the field butting into the border. One that comes to mind is one that we did the border with a row of cherry a row maple a row of cherry a row of maple than the field in cherry. Now while that may not look good in your house it was stunning in that one:thumb::thumb::rofl::rofl::rofl:
There was one nook about 4 feet wide by 6 feet long that we ran the pattern right into the middle. It looked like one of those fine oriental rugs when I was done :thumb::thumb: