Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: folks is......well......you know.....

folks is......well......you know.....

Yes, folks is funny critters. I must enjoy the frustration and annoyance that comes with trying to figure them out.
    Tell y'all what I am talking about.
    My desk and what laughingly passes for my office are in the basement, walk out type, next to the furnace and water heater. I call it my 'Raymond' office.
    I have always had trouble hearing the doorbell which is upstairs. So, a year ago, I installed a wireless system to ring in my office. We now have two buttons at the front door that I labeled (I thought) very clearly. In that year only one person has pushed a button to ring either bell. Now, they all knock. And, being downstairs, I sometimes do not hear the knock.
    All I want to know is: why won't they ring the bell (or bells)???
    "Folks is funny critters."

Think for yourselves and let others enjoy the privilege to do so, too. ~Voltaire

This is simple....

You gave people a choice, now they they wonder what that second bell really does...

Is it true it rings the office? Is it true the other rings the house?

Then the thought arises...It's a trick!! If I chose the wrong one it releases the Kraken!!!

So, they knock knowing a known outcome. Either someone answers or they don't.

No kraken to deal with!!!

Human thinking solved!!

Or their all just 'special' peoples.....
    That's not even a smile! That's just a bunch of teeth playing with my mind!

perhaps they cant read???
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!

Larry nailed it.
    But....even the FedEx guy who came today?

Think for yourselves and let others enjoy the privilege to do so, too. ~Voltaire

Do what we do and put a driveway alarm in...that way you know when anyone dares to approach your house (oh wait, does that make us sound like hermits? )

In my experience...if given an option numbering greater than one, humans will argue internally for an indeterminable amount of time and then reach a decision which a large percentage of time is similar to "I don't know".
    Your Respiratory Therapist wears Combat boots

Sometimes, the place where the bell buttons are is not as obvious as it may seem to the owner of the house who knows where they are.

For instance, I don't know in US but here they are always on the right of the door frame, if by any reason they are placed on the left, either they go unnoticed or it takes you a while to find them because you keep looking for them on the right hand side.

And jokes apart, it is not fear of a kraken as Brian suggests but fear of not ringing to the place where we want to.
    Ergonomics has a lot to do with these "simple" things. Just check the knobs of your stove and remember wether you had to learn which one related to which fire or not. Many of them are not as intuitive as one may think.
    Best regards,
    Toni

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _________________
    web site:http://www.toniciuraneta.com
    I also dream of a shop with north light where my hands can be busy, my soul rest and my mind wander...

Yep,

Put this several hundred feet down the driveway. I'm not sure if it's a driveway alert system or some kind of dog barking activation device. All I know is that when the delivery guys stop buy, it goes off and Starbuck goes bonkers.

No way someone can sneak up on us out here...

Programmer - An organism that turns coffee into software.
    If all your friends are exactly like you, What an un-interesting life it must be.
    "A door is what a dog is perpetually on the wrong side of" Ogden Nash

Quote Originally Posted by Brent Dowell View Post
    Yep,

Put this several hundred feet down the driveway. I'm not sure if it's a driveway alert system or some kind of dog barking activation device. All I know is that when the delivery guys stop buy, it goes off and Starbuck goes bonkers.

No way someone can sneak up on us out here...

I bought 3 HF versions. One is on the cellar stairs and blares out a buzzer that I can hear over the TS Only problem is the cat sets it off when he either comes up or down the stairs

My driveway one is about 250' down thee driveway. It also works great. The deer and other animals set it off all the time Just set back from the end of the driveway so some ding dong who uses your driveway for a turn around doesn't set it off.

I gave one to my daughter and she loves it. Hers is about 300' down the driveway.
    I paid $14.99 for 2 of them and $11.99 for the other. HF is always having sales on them. They really do work well.
    Faith, Hope & Charity

That wireless alarm sounds good.
    Will check out HF and also X-10.