Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: What Is Up With Mercedes Drivers?

What Is Up With Mercedes Drivers?

Apologies in advance if you drive a Mercedes. This rant is not directed at you. (Unless you're one of them.)

In the past five or six weeks I've done a lot of driving as the result of my new job. Many, many hours of driving a longbed extended-cab pickup truck (with a shell) in some of the worst traffic in the country. Jam-packed freeways and major city streets are my 'office' for at least half of every day. Today alone I spent time on the 210, the 118, the 405, the 101, the 170, the 10, and the 110 freeways. Plus streets like La Brea, Sunset, Wilshire, Santa Monica, La Cienega, and Highland. (Those who are familiar with the area will know what I'm talking about.)

Despite the thick traffic, most drivers in Los Angeles are cooperative. Most of us realize we're all in this mess together, so people tend to help each other out in small ways. If you need to changes lanes, you can usually find a likely break in traffic, signal your intentions, then move into the other lane. It might be tight, with little room to spare in front or back of your vehicle, but people will slow down to let someone cut in front of them. (I know this is unheard of in some parts of the country, but in LA, it's not uncommon.) Or if you're pulling out of a parking lot near an intersection, and traffic is stopped in the street, nearly always someone will wait to let you into traffic once the cars start moving.

But apparently, the User's Manual for Mercedes automobiles has a paragraph or two about such nonsense. Over the past 5 or 6 weeks, I've noticed a definite trend. Nine times out of ten, if someone races to close the gap before I can change lanes, or if someone makes it an obvious point to not allow me to pull into gridlocked traffic, that someone is behind the wheel of a Mercedes.

At first, I thought it was just snooty owners of expensive cars. But then I noticed that I kept seeing that two-legged peace sign in my rear view mirror nearly every time someone closed off a lane behind me as I tried to change lanes. Almost never see it done by a BMW or Jag or Rolls or Ferrari or Caddy or Maserati...but multiple times daily with a Mercedes. For some reason, the Mercedes drivers out here seem to have a sense of entitlement that the rest of us don't have. And in many of the parts of town I drive in, a Mercedes is not really that big of a deal. There are many more expensive cars driving around. I even saw a Ferrari and a Rolls in the parking garage of a condo this afternoon. Not the kind of cars you typically see in a condo parking lot. (Not the typical condo, though. These units run in the millions of dollars. Ozzy Osborne is one of the new residents there, according to our client.)

Now I don't want to seem like I'm down on people who drive nice cars. Heck, I have a Lexus and my wife drives an Acura. (Not full-blown luxury cars, but not Yugos, either.) I encounter normal drivers behind the wheel of cars costing ten times as much as my car every day. But what is up with Mercedes drivers?
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

You're cracking me up Vaughn. This was a subtle reminder why I moved away after 13 years in LA (moved out in 91). Your list of freeways brought back many memories of my daily commute.

The compliment I'll give LA drivers that I've never seen anywhere else, is that when traffic is good, we could always drive at 65+, 2 feet behind the car in front of you. Never an accident. Kind of like NASCAR.

Quote Originally Posted by Sharon Korn View Post
    ...The compliment I'll give LA drivers that I've never seen anywhere else, is that when traffic is good, we could always drive at 65+, 2 feet behind the car in front of you. Never an accident. Kind of like NASCAR.
    I thought we were hardcore until I drove in Toronto. They were following at LA distances, but doing 120 -140 KPH (about 75 - 85 MPH). It sure keeps you on your toes.

Since there are two of us in the truck, we take advantage of the carpool lanes wherever possible. On a lot of the freeways, the carpool lane is what used to be the shoulder or break-down lane, so I'm driving a foot or less away from the barrier wall on my left. That has a certain NASCAR feel too, except the wall's on the driver side instead of the passenger side.

Oh, and I moved out here the year you left. There's less pollution now, but definitely more traffic.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

Well that explains it Vaughn, your one of those lexus drivers. now no going postal on mercades drivers now.

We don`t have anywhere near the traffic grid lock that you have there ( ok morning and afternoon rush is bad enough it is called the colwood crawl) most everyone is courteous , but there are those that are just ignorant like you have discribed but never really noticed it has anything to do with the type of car. When I run into drivers like that I try to just smile and wave and wish them a nice day and turn up the tunes as there is more important things in life to to worry about than people like that and your better than they are.
    Daily Thought: SOME PEOPLE ARE LIKE SLINKIES..... NOT REALLY GOOD FOR ANYTHING BUT THEY BRING A SMILE TO YOUR FACE WHEN PUSHED DOWN THE STAIRS...............

Here in Japan they call them "Benz" as "Mercedes" is too hard to say in Japanese

The "Benz" driver really and truly believes that when they got the deed to the car, they also got a deed to the road, I have to agree with you about their attitude, as it is the same or worse here.

You could not GIVE me one of them cars, unless I could just sell it the same day
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward

First you need to beat up the truck, so you look serious. Next, start taking out a Benz or two. That should get you a reputation of a guy not to be messed with
    If you don't take pride in your work, life get's pretty boring.

Rule of thumb is if you donít know what tool to buy next, then you probably donít need it yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn McMillan View Post
    I thought we were hardcore until I drove in Toronto. They were following at LA distances, but doing 120 -140 KPH (about 75 - 85 MPH). It sure keeps you on your toes.

And I feel about Toronto the way Sharon feels about LA...

The really annoying thing is there is really no way to avoid it when going from one side of the province to the other. I'd love to see a highway built that had NO EXITS in Toronto, so you could enter at one side and get out at the other with a minimum of fuss.
    There's usually more than one way to do it...
    www.wordsnwood.com ........ facebook.com/wordsnwood

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Southwood View Post
    First you need to beat up the truck, so you look serious. Next, start taking out a Benz or two. That should get you a reputation of a guy not to be messed with
    What Steve said. A dented up bumper/fender and 6 or 7 Benz logo's painted on the doors of the truck would make you look like a Benz ace!
    Every child deserves a family. Adopt. Foster. Get involved.

Don't seem to have that problem here in Starke County, Indiana.
    Jon

God and family, the rest is icing on the cake. I'm so far behind, I think I'm in first place!

Host of the 2015 FAMILY WOODWORKING GATHERING

Back in the 70's I used to say the same thing about Cadillac drivers. The same people are just making more money now
    Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
    - Arthur C. Clarke