Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wood countertops, how to?

Wood countertops, how to?

Has anyone made wood counter tops before? I would like to make wood counter tops for my kitchen.

I was thinking of gluing strips of 3/8" hardwood to a 3/4" plywood then installing it.

What would you all recommend? I thought about using 3/4" hardwood, not glued to a substrate, but thought that the expansion and movement that I would end up with would cause problems.

I also thought about sawing hardwood into strips, 1" or so, turning them on side (so basically it would be quarter sawn) then using that.

Don't know.

Your thoughts, experience, suggestions are all welcome!

Brian
    That's not even a smile! That's just a bunch of teeth playing with my mind!

I made mine from 1" wide x 1 1/2" thick Jarrah, but can use any wood wanted for them, here is the thread for my building process http://familywoodworking.org/forums/...ad.php?t=14951

brian the way tom made his is great,, the movement is going up or down in the wood and there in 1.5 its not much.. and his counter is fantastic looking.. but i am biased he did have me help him sand them and i have gotten alot of cold drinks for helping
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!

Brian,
    anything more than 1/8" glued to a substrate will warp, crack and cause you more problems than you want to deal with. Think butcher blocks.

If you're going to have a wooden counter, try to find a good, stable wood that doesn't need a waterproof finish to deal with moisture.

Here's a good discussion of mitering butcher blocks that you might find useful.

Butcher block is the best way to go. This way if/when it get screwed up, you can sand it down and have a nice counter top for life.

My parents had edge grain maple countertops made for one of the houses I grew up in. (Something along the lines of the 1'" sawn strip method mentioned in the first post.) In the 20+ years they had them, they didn't have any problems with warping, although over time they got scorched and scratched. I don't recall that we ever re-sanded them, but we did periodically hit them with a fresh coat of mineral oil. They were made in the early 1970s, and the house was sold decades ago, but my dad still uses a cutting board made out of the sink cutout from that countertop. When I get a chance, I'll ask my dad if he remembers what type of glue the cabinetmaker used on them. For some reason, I seem to recall it was epoxy.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Niemi View Post
    I made mine from 1" wide x 1 1/2" thick Jarrah, but can use any wood wanted for them, here is the thread for my building process http://familywoodworking.org/forums/...ad.php?t=14951
    Tom,

I think I remember seeing the finished product somewhere, could you point me to the pics? Also, what did you finally use for the finish?

Thanks

Final finish was 2 coats Tung Oil Finish and 5 coats wipe on satin poly then a light coat of paste wax. Here are some pics so you do not have to search
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Countertop 2.jpg   Countertop 3.jpg   Countertop 4.jpg   Countertop 5.jpg   Backsplash 1.jpg  

Backsplash 4.jpg   Countertop 6.jpg   Countertop 1.jpg  

Wow! They look great!

How did you secure them to the cabs?

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Altop View Post
    Wow! They look great!

How did you secure them to the cabs?
    Screws from the under side to hold them in place, and used biscuits to align the individual counter tops to each other