Porter Cable 691 D-Handle---Amazon

S

Steve Clardy

Porter-Cable 691 11 Amp 1-3/4 Horsepower D-Handle Router at a good price of $99 with free shipping at Amazon.com

Enter B0000222VJ in search box.

Heck of a price for a D-Handle :thumb:

Oh, you're killing me here!:thumb: I just fixed my old Craftsman last month - BIG mistake!:eek:

Thanks for the link - I've got some quick thinking to do.

Wes

Porter-Cable 691... $99 with free shipping at Amazon.com
Heck of a price for a D-Handle

:eek:

Heck of a price period. Who cares about the D-Handle.

Sometimes I get frustrated at all these deals from amazon that keep popping up ... since I live up here in Canada and can't take advantage of them.
But other times I'm kind of relieved, as I know I'd be buying more than I am now.

...art

(who spent part of today whipping up a quick/simple router table for an ancient Rockwell D-handle router -- the grandaddy of the PC690 series -- that I got from my dad years ago. Still works. The only negative is that it is a 1/4" shank only)

:eek:

Heck of a price period. Who cares about the D-Handle.

Sometimes I get frustrated at all these deals from amazon that keep popping up ... since I live up here in Canada and can't take advantage of them.
But other times I'm kind of relieved, as I know I'd be buying more than I am now.

...art

(who spent part of today whipping up a quick/simple router table for an ancient Rockwell D-handle router -- the grandaddy of the PC690 series -- that I got from my dad years ago. Still works. The only negative is that it is a 1/4" shank only)

1/4" only? hmmm
What does the collet look like Art?
I've got a golden oldie that doesn't have the snap ring, just a nut.

1/4" only? hmmm
What does the collet look like Art?
I've got a golden oldie that doesn't have the snap ring, just a nut.
Like this:
router1.jpgrouter2.jpg

Rockwell model 1502. I can't find any date on it. Likely my dad bought it between 71 and 75. It was around then he started on his own as a finishing carpenter.

I'm not sure what is meant by "snap ring". Is that what you call the removeable collet ring on other routers?

Like this:
View attachment 5183View attachment 5184

Rockwell model 1502. I can't find any date on it. Likely my dad bought it between 71 and 75. It was around then he started on his own as a finishing carpenter.

I'm not sure what is meant by "snap ring". Is that what you call the removeable collet ring on other routers?

That is a golden oldie Art.
Newer ones are a 2 piece collet. Snap ring holds them together.

Is that a removable nut, the bigger one closest to the bearing housing, or is that part of the arbor?

Is that a removable nut, the bigger one closest to the bearing housing, or is that part of the arbor?

I think it is part of the arbor. Just had a look at it, and if there is a way to remove it, I sure can't tell.

No worries, I've still got 1/4" shank bits, and can buy more, and as long as it does a good job...

Art. Just found my old rockwell.
Knew I had one :huh: In a router table:rolleyes: That I use that I keep a cove bit in only.
Its a type 2, #202 rockwell.
Seems to be newer than yours.
Mine has that same nut on the arbor as yours, but it has threads on top of it, for the collet nut. The newer collet with snapring fits on this one.

Looking at it, there's a round on the bottom portion that extends down into the housing.
So----without removing the armature from the case, I can't tell if it can be updated to the newer collets on yours.