From veal to millwork

Al killian

My shop is now in what used to be a veal barn. The barn is 40'Wx100'L. The heated part is going to be 40'x40'. In order to pour concrete we had to bring in alot of fill. Along the one wall there was a 10'x100' strip of concrete that my freinds father put in for the horses. We used 38 tons of recycled concrete to bring the groud up to grade.:eek: The great thong about recycled concrete is it packs in like concrete. Here is what it looked like last week. Before the fill went in. Will load more pics tommrow night after we pour.

Yes, hats my duaghter in the pic. She like to hang out and bug me. The first shop was 30'x25' with several polls and uneven concrete and needed tons of work. Here is the planned layout for this space. Several things are still being decided on.I know it looks like some of the stuff is way spread out, but the molders need atlest 12' on the in/out feeds.

Attachments

• Shop_layout_001.jpg
    Shop_layout_001.jpg
    29.3 KB · Views: 94
Concrete went down today. Glad I had enough help wher I didnt have to do any work with the concrete. We started pouring around 4:30 and fnished around 9:30. It went fairly well other then the 2 yds overage.:( We used a power buggy to save alot of work. Sunday we will seal the concrete and will cut the lines on tuesday or wensday.

Attachments

• Floor_leveled_and_ready_for_concrete_opt.jpg
    Floor_leveled_and_ready_for_concrete_opt.jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 173
  • Power_buggy_opt.jpg
    Power_buggy_opt.jpg
    121.7 KB · Views: 172
  • Concrete_going_down_opt.jpg
    Concrete_going_down_opt.jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 173
  • Finished_floor_opt.jpg
    Finished_floor_opt.jpg
    101.4 KB · Views: 189
looks like that is an area of 24 x??? that got crete. what did yu use for base it looked like yu already had crete in there al??? sure looks nice and flat when yu got done:):thumb::thumb:

That is a lot of work that will pay dividends right from the start. You could have laid power in conduit and had floor outlets. Like others, it is looking good! Glad to be following along with your build. When the school seals the wood shop, it gets slippery with the slightest of sawdust, you aren't worried about that?

looks like that is an area of 24 x??? that got crete. what did yu use for base it looked like yu already had crete in there al??? sure looks nice and flat when yu got done:):thumb::thumb:

Larry, The base we used is recycled concrete. Once this stuff gets packed you need a pick axe to break the surface. The area we did was 29' wide, so you where close. It took us almost a week to get the ground ready for concrete.

Jon, where are only putting on coat on and we didnt polish the concrete. The surface is stil alitle rough. No, we didnt lay power in the ground. We considerd it, but alot of the stuff is going to be moved around.

Brent, The rafters are not meant for holding weight.

Tom, Tools should start going back in on wensday.

so al by going with recycled crete in first then that allowed you to just put a small layer of new stuff??? looked like yu were just skim coating it after yu got he base hard and packed??? would save money if thats the case

Larry, The idea of gong with the recycled concrete served a few issuses. First some spots where over a foot off of grade, second it was cheap($5 per ton) third it packs quick and har. No haveing to let it settle before the concrete goes over it. Most of the concrete we poure was only 3" deep, but it was on top of anywhere from 4" to 15" on the recycled stuff, so yes it saved me alot of cash.

that make good sence,, how fine is this recycled concrete? might look into that for a drive way??? or would it turn mush come spring rains??

Larry, the stuff I've seen is similar in size to crusher fines, with some bigger pieces mixed in. ("Bigger" being 1/2" or so.) Makes a great base course if it's properly moistened and compacted, and I think it would hold up pretty well to the elements as driveway material. I'll be talking to my dad this weekend...I'll ask him for his thoughts on it. (He's been a concrete engineer longer than you and I have been walking upright.)