Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: From veal to millwork

Little bit of intesting history from wikipedia

History
    Portland cement was developed from natural cements made in Britain in the early part of the nineteenth century, and its name is derived from its similarity to Portland stone, a type of building stone that was quarried on the Isle of Portland in Dorset, England.[1]
    The Portland cement is considered to originate from Joseph Aspdin, a British bricklayer from Leeds. It was one of his employees (Isaac Johnson), however, who developed the production technique, which resulted in a more fast-hardening cement with a higher compressive strength. This process was patented in 1824.[1] His cement was an artificial cement similar in properties to the material known as "Roman cement" (patented in 1796 by James Parker) and his process was similar to that patented in 1822 and used since 1811 by James Frost who called his cement "British Cement". The name "Portland cement" is also recorded in a directory published in 1823 being associated with a William Lockwood, Dave Stewart, and possibly[vague] others.[citation needed]
    Aspdin's son William, in 1843, made an improved version of this cement and he initially called it "Patent Portland cement" although he had no patent. In 1848 William Aspdin further improved his cement and in 1853 he moved to Germany where he was involved in cement making.[2] Many people have claimed to have made the first Portland cement in the modern sense, but it is generally accepted that it was first manufactured by William Aspdin at Northfleet, England in about 1842.[3] The German Government issued a standard on Portland cement in 1878.[4]
    Rob .....Alias John Wayne now Pasquinell da trapper.

"forget the apples slap some bacon on a biscuit and lets go...

We're burning daylight"

Thanks Rob, very intresting.

Quote Originally Posted by larry merlau View Post
    Thanks vaughn i like the texas 2 sack idea maybe i could just pour some on my stones and let the rain mix it in and i would have a poor mans stone driveway??
    I'd use something a bit more aggressive than the rain to mix it in, or else it'll mostly stay at the surface and not really give you much benefit. A tractor with a disc, rake, or blade should work. If you can mix it 6" to 12" deep, moistening it as you go, then smooth it out and compact it while it's still moist, you should have some good hard stuff when it all sets up. If your current gravel is only clean rocks and no fine material, you should probably also add some fines to help fill the gaps between the rocks when it's compacted. The fines can be sand, silt, or clay, as long as it's mixed well. That's where the crushed recycled concrete like Al used fits the bill.

The Texas two-sack is along the same lines as soil cement. I've helped build flood control channel walls and dams made of soil cement. The Army Corps of Engineers gets all scientific with the stuff, but the hillbilly version sets up just as hard.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

Croton, Ohio (about a half hour NE of Columbus)
    I don't think i've ever seen the "two sack" method used for anything other than setting posts, but who knows? Spread that stuff out and mix it in good like Vaughn said and in the morning it'll probably be harder than chinese arithmetic.

Well, if my back holds up(not doing good) we will be moving all the machines back into place on sunday. There are only two things in the shop I dont want to move again and that is the TS and the woodmaster 25" planer molder. Everything else will be fairly easy to move. Hopefully monday I will start on the new staorage cabinets and RAS/CMS station.

Well after 8 hours in the shop today, we manged to get everything that was at the shop placed. The outfeeed/assembly table is standing and will be finished tommrow.Sorry, no pics someone(me) forgot the camera today. Will get pictures tommrow. Where hoping to have atleast the ts,bs and molders powred up by tommrow night. Need to finish the outfeed/assembly table and start giving everything a home. Things will be going slow over the next week as my back is acting up worse then ever.

Here are a few pics of how it looks right now. Work is going real slow. Going to see surgen in two weeks to see if i finished my back off or what is going on. Either way I will finish the shop and atleast run the orders and let my freind do the labor
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Resized-PNRXN.jpg   Resized-LPRP4.jpg   Resized-GX2BI.jpg   Resized-BSBFJ.jpg   Resized-9PJRR.jpg  

Looks like it's getting there, Al. I'm envious of all your space.

Do take care of your back, though. I know firsthand how a messed-up back can slow you down, so don't overdo things and make it worse.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

Houston, we have a shop!!!!!!! Good job Al!! That is looking good. Ceilings look a little low, or is it just the pics? Do take care of that back, it will only get worse even without abuse as you get older.
    God and family, the rest is icing on the cake.

I'm so far behind, I think I'm in first place.

Premier Bovine Scatologist

Jon, the ceilings are 9'7. Yeah it is getting closer. the miter saw bench is are table we use for finishing, just needed something for now. The plans for the shop got changed around alot. One of the biggest road blocks are my tempory shop visitors. A 10' sq area is being taken up by little onkers. My freind who owns the barn has four pigs in there and two of them are for the 4-H animal show and the other two are going in the freezer. Will post some better pics soon.

My back has been bad for 10yrs now, I just refuse to go on disabilty untill im forced. I have a implant in my back that has been atcing up and this is what im hoping is the problem. It is intresting trying to go threw metal dectors or security systems at stores. I can set them easily.