Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Lost a Friend Tonight

ABQ NM

Lost a Friend Tonight

I lost my best buddy Saturday night.

Dakota, our clown in a dog outfit, collapsed at about 1:30 AM when I took him and the other dogs outside for their bedtime bathroom break. His breathing was laborious, and he was too weak to get on his feet. We got him loaded in the car and took him to the emergency animal clinic, where they quickly discovered his whole abdominal cavity was full of blood. Although the vet was not certain, the most likely cause of his internal bleeding was a ruptured malignant tumor, most likely in the spleen or liver. This type of thing is fairly common in dogs his size and age, and by the time the cancer has progressed to this stage, it’s quite likely is has also spread to other organs. Regardless of the cause, it was apparent that there was no realistic cure, so we made the decision that no pet owner wants to face. Needless to say, we weren’t quite prepared for this. It’s been a roller coaster of a week, gaining a new dog and losing an old one...the favorite one.

He was the best dog I’ve ever met, and I will miss him like no other. Goodbye, Big Boy. See you on the other side.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Couch Dog 3 800.jpg   Vaughn and Dakota 1 800.jpg   Dakota Headshot 2 800.jpg  
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

Constantine, MI
    My heart goes out to you. I know how this feels, and will know it again someday.
    “We all die. The goal isn't to live forever; the goal is to create something that will.” - Chuck Palahniuk

Reno NV
    Vaughn, What can I say, I know how much these little guys can mean to us. Dakota was a well loved dog and I know you have many happy memories to cherish.

My sincerest condolences....
    Programmer - An organism that turns coffee into software.
    If all your friends are exactly like you, What an un-interesting life it must be.
    "A door is what a dog is perpetually on the wrong side of" Ogden Nash

Delton, Michigan
    sorry for your loss vaughn,, maybe the misses knew something you didnt,, and the arrival might fill the void that dakota left.. i do know the feeling all to well vaughn..
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!

Plainwell, Michigan
    So so sorry Vaughn, I have no idea what to say but that my thoughts are with you.

North West Indiana
    I had a guy tell me one time, if you are going to have livestock, then you will have deadstock from time to time. It doesn't make it easier though. They worm their way into our hearts and I wouldn't have it any other way. But dang gone, it sure hurts when they go. No words can make you feel better so won't try. He looked like a good one and like you enjoyed him and he enjoyed you. Pat that new one and give the wife a hug. Sorry Vaughn for your loss.
    Last edited by Jonathan Shively; 04-24-2011 at 07:13 PM.
    God and family, the rest is icing on the cake.

I'm so far behind, I think I'm in first place.

Premier Bovine Scatologist

Yorktown, Virginia
    It's rare to find a dog that will let you use their couch. Obviously, Dakota was one of those special characters that leave a hole in your life when they leave. Our condolences on your loss.

Syracuse, Nebraska
    Very sorry, Vaughn. He looked like a fun critter.

somewhere east of Queen Creek, AZ - South East of Phoenix
    So sorry to here this news Vaughn.
    "There’s a lot of work being done today that doesn’t have any soul in it. The technique may be the utmost perfection, yet it is lifeless. It doesn’t have a soul. I hope my furniture has a soul to it." - Sam Maloof
    The Pessimist complains about the wind; The Optimist expects it to change;The Realist adjusts the sails.~ William Arthur Ward

Los Angeles, CA
    So sorry to hear of your loss Vaughn. He was a very sweet dog.
    Chinese Proverb: Man who eats many prunes gets good run for the money.