Lost a Friend Tonight

Vaughn McMillan

Administrator
Staff member
I lost my best buddy Saturday night.

Dakota, our clown in a dog outfit, collapsed at about 1:30 AM when I took him and the other dogs outside for their bedtime bathroom break. His breathing was laborious, and he was too weak to get on his feet. We got him loaded in the car and took him to the emergency animal clinic, where they quickly discovered his whole abdominal cavity was full of blood. Although the vet was not certain, the most likely cause of his internal bleeding was a ruptured malignant tumor, most likely in the spleen or liver. This type of thing is fairly common in dogs his size and age, and by the time the cancer has progressed to this stage, it’s quite likely is has also spread to other organs. Regardless of the cause, it was apparent that there was no realistic cure, so we made the decision that no pet owner wants to face. Needless to say, we weren’t quite prepared for this. It’s been a roller coaster of a week, gaining a new dog and losing an old one...the favorite one.

He was the best dog I’ve ever met, and I will miss him like no other. Goodbye, Big Boy. See you on the other side.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• Couch Dog 3 800.jpg
    Couch Dog 3 800.jpg
    64 KB · Views: 155
  • Vaughn and Dakota 1 800.jpg
    Vaughn and Dakota 1 800.jpg
    84.2 KB · Views: 154
  • Dakota Headshot 2 800.jpg
    Dakota Headshot 2 800.jpg
    75.8 KB · Views: 154
Vaughn, What can I say, I know how much these little guys can mean to us. Dakota was a well loved dog and I know you have many happy memories to cherish.

My sincerest condolences....

sorry for your loss vaughn,, maybe the misses knew something you didnt,, and the arrival might fill the void that dakota left.. i do know the feeling all to well vaughn..

I had a guy tell me one time, if you are going to have livestock, then you will have deadstock from time to time. It doesn't make it easier though. They worm their way into our hearts and I wouldn't have it any other way. But dang gone, it sure hurts when they go. No words can make you feel better so won't try. He looked like a good one and like you enjoyed him and he enjoyed you. Pat that new one and give the wife a hug. Sorry Vaughn for your loss.

Last edited:
Vaughn,
It's rare to find a dog that will let you use their couch. Obviously, Dakota was one of those special characters that leave a hole in your life when they leave. Our condolences on your loss.

I'm glad we got our play time in...I loved messin' with him and he always had a wag for me. Sorry brother....that's all there is.

Vaughn,
So sorry to hear about Dakota. Unfortunately, I know how you feel right now, having lost several 'best buddies' over the years. Quite a devastating feeling to endure.

Hopefully, you'll meet again some day, just over the "Rainbow Bridge.'