My parents found a toy cradle for free at a garage sale. It was free because it was missing the base. They figured it would be easy enough for me to make a base & then my daughter would have a cradle for her dolls.
Since my 4-year old daughter isn't going to point out the flaws in my work I decided to go way out of my comfort zone and try several things I've never done before:
- started with completely rough lumber
- first time using through tennons
- first time using wood dyes instead of stain
- I had never done any sort of carving before
- mixed up my own shellac from flakes for the finish
If I had it to do again, there are some things I'd do differently the next time around. But I take the hug & kiss I got from my daughter as proof that is good enough for her.