Old Stanley Bailey #5 plane

Tony Baideme

Hi Friends, This is my first post and I'm glad to be part of the group. Learning lots of great stuff here.

I have just acquired an old plane from a guy though Craigslist here in Honolulu. He told me it was his father's and it was a used tool when his Dad got it back in the early 1930's. It's in really grat shape and will be a nice addition to my tool array. I'll get a photo posted sometime this weekend. I have read some on this style plane and was wondering if I "done good" with my purchase. He only wanted $20.00, but I bought hin a nice lunch because he practically delivered it to my door. :thumb:

This should go well with the practically new Craftsman 22" jointer plane I got for Christmas. ;)

I know, "No pictures, it didn't happen".

Aloha, Tony Baideme

Update - Old Stanley Bailey #5 plane

I finally got to take some pictures of the #5 I got a while back. Doing a little research on this looks like it's a 1930's or 40's vintage. It should be a type 15, 16 or 17 from what I found on the www.rexmill.com site in the "Type study" section.

It has:
1. the "Bailey" cast on the toe,
2. no patent date anywhere on the body,
3. "Made In USA" behind the knob,
4. cast rib at the knob base,
5. the "ogee" shaped frog with no adjusting screw,
6. the non-plated lever cap with the kidney shaped hole,
7. steel & hard rubber depth knob,
8. rosewood tote & knob.

I will try posting some pictures of it here.

Aloha,

Tony

Old Stanley Bailey "Before Photos"

My thanks to Stu and Vaughn. Here are some "before" pictures of the #5 plane. :thumb:

no.5 plane 03 (600 x 450).jpg

no.5 plane 05 (600 x 450).jpg

no.5 plane 08 (600 x 450).jpg

Now all I have to do is get to work on the restoration.

Aloha, :wave:

Tony

Old Stanley Bailey #5 plane "before" photos

Well, there, that wasn't too bad, now was it? At least I got something on. Now I have to figure how to post a thumbnail along with the link.

Ah, there they are. Even us old dogs can learn new tricks, heh.

Aloha, :wave:

Tony

Hi Tony.

Your #5 looks identical to my #7 that I recently bought. I too am looking for additional information so I will keep a close tab on your post.

Yesterday I posted a like question on SMC and have only gotten one response asking for a picture, so it off the the shop with a camera.

old Stanley Bailey #5 plane

Thanks Stu. It's going to be a fun restore. Fairly straightforward anyway.

Ken, if you check the link: www.rexmill.com you should be able to find a bunch of info on your plane, including a lot of good tips on restoration and sharpening.

Hope this helps.

Aloha,

Tony