LV Turners Polish

How are you applying it, and what problems are you seeing, Peter? I've not used it, but from the description on the Lee Valley website, it looks like it is supposed to be applied to the piece while it's on the lathe, turning at low speed.

Hey Vaughn. Thanks for the reply. I just seem to get a bit of a sticky finish. I too read the LV website information but at low speed nothing much happens. If it is anything like a 'polish' I must be doing something wrong. Not sure if I should apply at low speed and then 'crank' the lathe up and try to heat it with a dry rag or the one I applied with or ??? Just doesn't seem to work right for me somehow but my past brother in law seem to use it to great advantage.
Pete
http://www.woodbowlsandthings.com

Hey Peter...Can you tell what the ingredients’ are? It's sounding like a friction polish if you get a sticky feel at low speed. If its wax and shellac, speed it up...1800'ish if possible and try a microfiber towel...should get a moderate sheen.

Pete, if it's staying sticky and not getting hard, I strongly suspect it's because the finish is old. I've had similar finishes that didn't want to cure right, and replacing them with newer bottles fixed the problem.

Jim, from what I'm seeing on the Lee Valley site, it's a lacquer based finish, not the typical shellac/wax combo that most friction polishes are made of. I suspect that's why Lee Valley says to apply it at low speed.

...Jim, from what I'm seeing on the Lee Valley site, it's a lacquer based finish, not the typical shellac/wax combo that most friction polishes are made of. I suspect that's why Lee Valley says to apply it at low speed.

Oops, I take that back. Re-reading the info shows that it is indeed shellac based. (Although they don't mention any wax.) It may indeed respond to higher lathe speeds.

Still, my first guess for the cause of slow or no curing would be the age of the inherited finish.