Safety question

Guy Bratt

I was just reading some safety rules for table saws. I can't quite picture this. "When cutting a bevel, place the ripfence on the side oppisite of the bevel cut" Can anybody load a pic or diagram of this? In my mind my board to be cut would be against the fence and the scrap or cutoff would slip away from the blade. But would that be under or over the blade? Would it matter?

I don't have a diagram but "I THINK" they are saying to have the blade leaning away from the fence so that you could lift the part up past the blade. That way the strip is not trapped under the angled blade.

Hey Guys what they are telling you is have the straight edge of the board to the fence not the bevel you are cutting. If I knew how do draw it out on the computer I could make it clear. BUT:dunno:

The piece against the fence should not be under the bevel of the blade. Not trapped between table top, fence and underside of the blade.

Attachments

• bevel-safety.jpg
    bevel-safety.jpg
    30.6 KB · Views: 36
Hey Guys what they are telling you is have the straight edge of the board to the fence not the bevel you are cutting. If I knew how do draw it out on the computer I could make it clear. BUT:dunno:

If this was the case, how would a person cut a bevel on both edges of a board? :huh:

I agree with Jeff and Don...the top of the blade should be pointing away from the fence.

The tilt of the blade is a personal thing and which way you are the most comfortable doing as you will alway have a part between the table and the blade no mater which way it tilts

what they are sayun jay is the off fall is free to go elsewhere and the main piece isnt trapped under the blade at all doesnt matter if your left or right tilt leave the parent board free from a trapped position.

This all means that you don't want the fence on the tilted side of the blade. Keep the fence on the right side of the blade on a left tilt saw; keep the fence on the blade on a left of a right tilt saw. This greatly reduces probability of kickback.