log score

Here's a few sugar maple logs I got for the grand total of free! A lady I work with lives in a house that was built in 1830. It started out as a cabin made from chestnut. The main house still has the chestnut floor joists and some of the logs. I counted the rings best I could and figured it was around 140 years old. She told me she has a picture of the house in 1904 and the tree was big then.

Anyway, this tree was about 15 feet off the front porch of her house. It was easy 100 feet tall and leaned toward the house. She was worried if it fell it could cut the house in half.

I live about 1.5 miles from her. The tree service that cut it even delivered it to the house for free. I offered the owner some cash for bringing it and he wouldn't take it. He thanked me for taking it telling me it saved him from having to get rid of it. He also told me if he gets anymore nice ones he'd call and let me know.

Now I have to find someone with a mill that can handle it!

Attachments

• logs 126 (Small).JPG
    logs 126 (Small).JPG
    92.1 KB · Views: 77
  • logs 128 (Small).JPG
    logs 128 (Small).JPG
    81.7 KB · Views: 65
  • logs 129 (Small).JPG
    logs 129 (Small).JPG
    95.5 KB · Views: 62
  • logs 130 (Small).JPG
    logs 130 (Small).JPG
    56.5 KB · Views: 64
  • logs 131 (Small).JPG
    logs 131 (Small).JPG
    50.2 KB · Views: 60
  • logs 132 (Small).JPG
    logs 132 (Small).JPG
    61.3 KB · Views: 58
  • logs 133 (Small).JPG
    logs 133 (Small).JPG
    48.5 KB · Views: 58
  • logs 135 (Small).JPG
    logs 135 (Small).JPG
    85.7 KB · Views: 62
john,, that 38" is gonna be tuff to find a saw to cut,, the others are ok most woodmizers in the normal size can handle 30 to 33" stuff yu might be able to slab a chunk off and then reload it and cut it up later to get down to a manageable size.. the other option is to split it with your chain saw first. gonna be some pretty stuff in there.. on maple if you want the white color you will need to get it dried soon in a kiln maple will darken if you dont to the light tan color..also has a tendency to mold fast because of the sugar and moister content.

I need to call my BIL to help you out. He has an Alaskan Saw Mill that he uses a Stihl 090 head with a 6' bar. We cut the slab for my coffee table with it and about 125 more. That should keep you busy for what, 2-3 weeks John? Nice haul!! :thumb:

way to wasteful with a chain saw mill,, it can be done with a band mill..

and where is this coffee table yu mention out of a slab jim dont remeber any pics of it???

Thanks for the advice Larry, and everyone. I sent a local sawyer the same pics and he said he could handle the logs. He has a woodmizer lt50 I think. He told me he charges 175 per thousand with me helping. I've got a few more logs to gather up and then I give him a call.

Very nice!!
I'd be getting those ends sealed up asap, which will minimise your loss due to checking.
As Larry points out, chainsaw milling will turn a lot of it into sawdust, but it might be an option for squaring-up in preparation for the Wood-Mizer.
That crotch has great possibilities.
Have fun!