Fund Raisers Help

Our local park is in need of funds. People are scaling back and not using it as much as they have. What can we do to raise funds?

Throw out what ever you have, and I will take it to the board. We have a softball field, horse shoe pits.

why not run a carnival, have raffles, get some local merchants to donate some stuff, get some local entertainment to perform for charity/exposure.The town donated a portable stage(trailer with a stage built in) for people to sing and entertain.
Make a nice set of outdoor furniture and and donate it so they can raffle it off.
whatever is fun, hayrides, pony rides, pie eating contests, hot dog eating contests, get people invovled and willing to part with a few bucks for the good of the town park.

I donated a pair of adirondack chairs to a local pta to raise funds, and was told they did well with just those.
They had some of the fathers and custodians running a bbq with hotdogs and burgers and the line was long from late morning till it closed.They sold ice cream, cotton candy, pretzels, etc...they had boths for just kids, like sand art.
I dont know if this is big enough stuff for your local park. It worked well for the pta.

I agree with Allen. I was going to say raffle off a few things, bake sale.

I deleted it to write it a bit more in order, I was all over the place.

These carnivals/feasts are very popular around here for raising money for local school things.

Its funny how someone wont lay out 25 dollars to donate to their park, but will shell out 35 bucks for burgers and icecream for the family.

More info. Once a year we have the annual Hog Roast. Big party, bands, food, games and stuff. It keeps the bills mostly paid the the year. What gets us is the unexpected stuff. Our light bill runs 200 a month, that is just heat or air. I will be figuring out that one.

As far as local business. The only true local is my wife's beauty shop. We sponsor a team for the girls ball and the section of the fence.

My FFA chapter and the other chapter in our county have combined during the county fair to host a tractor show. Now we don't charge nor do we give prizes. Old cars, trucks, tractors, motorcycles, horse pulls, man the list can go on and on. Horseshoe tourneys. With the tractors and vehicles a poker run can be created which involves the local businesses with foot traffic to their place of business.

Sounds like you are looking for a semi-big event? If not, how about:

-Local swap meet (or a few over the course of the summer)? Let folks bring their crap and pay a fee to be able to set up their own yard sell, without having to advertise to get folks to their own house

-Fun Run(s) with nominal entry fees. Let local vendors pay to sell concessions

-Car Treasure Hunts (or on Foot) - Where they start and end there but have to pay to enter (to win a trophy or other donated prizes). Have a picnic afterward and have concessionaires pay a commission/fee

I know it's tough these days. On the local swap thing, myself, I'd be more inclined to take my stuff to a local park then one of those professional weekly swap meets.

My :twocents:

Sharon got several good ideas, I constantly pay 35-50 to set up a table to get peoples names for health insurance and so do folks selling everything from AVON to tee shirt and jewelry. The cost of the table as well as food sales go to the cause. Heck if you were in Arizona Id take a table in a minute.

PS 50 table x 40 vendors = $2000 in clear profit

My area has responded well to a pancake breakfast. Local supermarkets donate pancake mix, syrup and coffee (be sure to get a few bottles of sugar free syrup). None of the 3 towns in the area have grocery stores. We contacted stores in larger towns where people shop. We used the school cafeteria for silverware and plates/trays. Purchased cups for coffee and milk (used 1/2 pint cartons like the schools use. We didn't sell tickets--free will donations. Advertised in the local paper and had short articles in the county section of the Indy Star. Push the cause--not just a fund raiser. We have had 4 of them with good causes. Young teacher with 2 kids who needed treatment not covered by insurance at a Boston hospital, sent local Olympian's family to China, school basketball team fund raisers. At the same time and in the same place we had a silent auction. Donations from golf courses, barbers, hair dressers, restaurants, flower shops come to mind. Colts and Pacers donated when we told them what and why this was going on. Maybe you could get donations from Louisville or Evansville areas??? We have a retired gentleman who put these together. He was a teacher, coach and principal who loved doing it and did a great job. I could put you in touch with him if you want. Word of mouth advertising did wonders. People came from as far as Chicago--mixed this in with visiting friend and relatives. PROMOTE, PROMOTE, PROMOTE!! The public saw serving from 8 to 11 on a Saturday. Hours of work done were put in before hand--most getting donations for the silent auctions. Getting donations was not difficult. It just takes time to make the contacts and pick up the donations. We are talking 3 small towns in the school corporation within 30 miles of Indy--not a large or affluent place like Carmel or Zionsville. Profits were excellent. PM me if you have questions.

i agree with the food being made at your park steve by volunteers and the the swap meet for vendors to sell there wares.. it does two things gets people more aware of your park area and the things it has to offer others.. and it will bring in income for your operating expenses.. those swap meets are addicting and once it gets around its there they will be back next year as well.. lookers wills till eat if they dont buy goods from a vendor

Check to see if there are any state or federal grants available. I'm sure there aren't as many as there once was, but can't hurt to call or search the net and find out.

Check to see if there are any state or federal grants available. I'm sure there aren't as many as there once was, but can't hurt to call or search the net and find out.

Good idea. When I was running the kids soccer program a local politician who had a kid in the program got us a $5000.00 grant for 3 years in a row.

We had a family day every year. Grilled hot dogs, hamburgers, chicken. Everything donated by the local stores. Mc Donalds donated all the fruit drinks. Rented Moon Walks, popcorn machines. The port-a-johns were donated. Board members brought their grills and did all the cooking. Moms made the desserts. We charged $10.00 per family and always made $1500-2000.00. Local businesses were charged $50.00 if they had their name listed on the bulletin board as a sponsor. Also had a silent auction on donated prizes. We had Moms vs. kids soccer games, Dads and daughters against moms and sons, many other fun soccer games. Lots of planning but tons of fun.

How about a shiny car and tractor show? Don't charge for the space but have a suggested donation.

Make your money by setting up your food and game booths from your other events. Get some other vendors (clothing, auto gadgets, crafts) and they have to pay either a slice of business or a fee for the spot.

Good luck.