Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: busy week - the turning has commenced...

busy week - the turning has commenced...

now that i've gotten most of the planned flat stuff out of the way, i can indulge myself a bit in the ol' vortex. the first of the items to be turned are the rolling pins. then the tapered rolling pins, meat mallets, and so on....

p.s. there are 4 more just like that one to be turned, going to wait until i can do them outside.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails first rolling pin.jpg  
    benedictione omnes bene

www.burroviejowoodworking.com

check out my etsy store, buroviejowoodworking

Hi,

I have a large, sixteen-inch, rolling pin similar to yours. My dad made it for me when I was involved in pottery (stuff thrown on the potter's wheel, etc.). That was approximately 51 years ago. It was made to flatten clay into sheets to be made into: boxes, medallions, jewelry, dragons and what-evers.

I still use it for something or the other on occasion.

Enjoy,

Jim
    First of all you have to be smarter than the machine.
    VOTING MEMBER

somewhere east of Queen Creek, AZ - South East of Phoenix
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim C Bradley View Post
    Hi,

I have a large, sixteen-inch, rolling pin similar to yours. My dad made it for me when I was involved in pottery (stuff thrown on the potter's wheel, etc.). That was approximately 51 years ago. It was made to flatten clay into sheets to be made into: boxes, medallions, jewelry, dragons and what-evers.

I still use it for something or the other on occasion.

Enjoy,

Jim
    As abonker on Glenn
    "There’s a lot of work being done today that doesn’t have any soul in it. The technique may be the utmost perfection, yet it is lifeless. It doesn’t have a soul. I hope my furniture has a soul to it." - Sam Maloof
    The Pessimist complains about the wind; The Optimist expects it to change;The Realist adjusts the sails.~ William Arthur Ward

i know that i wouldn't want to get bonked with this. at 18" long, 2 3/4" diameter of hard maple, i'm sure it would hurt just a little. no pics today, day 4 of 4 off is scheduled for taking of good pics for the web site, and working on the newsletter. besides, 3 solid days of woodworking, and i'm pretty much destressed, and looking forward to my next set of days off...
    benedictione omnes bene

got some turning in today. started out pretty good with a pen turning demo for the web site, but got bit in the sanding. i found that brown ebony is just as prone to splitting when thin as the black stuff. i guess i'll find something else for the rest of it, and redo the demo with cocobolo. with that out of the way, i decided to start in on the other items. the rolling pin is now joined by the meat mallet, and potato masher/walnut, pecan, almond smasher in hard maple, and a fruit muddler (look up bar tools) in ash. all in all, around 6 hours at the lathe today, more in store for tomorrow. once i have good pics, i'll post them tomorrow.
    benedictione omnes bene

well, i hate to tease you guys about time at the lathe without pics, so here they are. for the last three days, i've spent roughly 6 hrs each day (that's 18 hrs all together larry) having fun at the lathe. almost completely destressed. grand total of the fun: 3 more rolling pins to keep the first one company. 4 tapered rolling pins. 6 of the large (for stock pots and such) spurtles. 1 fruit muddler (with more to follow). 1 meat mallet (with more to follow). 1 potato masher/walnut smasher (with more to follow), and 3 small spurtles. not too bad, 19 items in 18 hours.... on a side note, i think i'm going to redo the small spurtles, they seem a bit too clunky to me.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails rolling pins.jpg   tapered rolling pins.jpg   large spurtles.jpg   fruit muddler.jpg   meat mallet.jpg  

potato masher or walnut crusher.jpg   small spurtles.jpg  
    benedictione omnes bene

Spitting distance north of Detroit Michigan
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Noren View Post
    .....not too bad, 19 items in 18 hours....
    Wow, I go thru 19 'logs'{} in 180 hours and still can't muster more than a couple of toothpicks, flat ones at that

You've been busy & the results are
    The perception of perfection is perfectly clear to everyone else

You definitely have been busy. Nice turnings.
    Bernie W.

Retirement: That’s when you return from work one day
    and say, “Hi, Honey, I’m home – forever.”

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

yayyyy!!!! the 60 hour week is over!!!, and today is day 1 of 4off!!!!!

today will be spent making up story sticks for the meat mallets, potato masher/walnut smashers, updating the website, and other things for getting ready for the next 3 days. gonna be a woodworking fool again (the wife says heavy on the fool part).

other good news, 1 of the rolling pins, and 1 of the tapered rolling pins have been sold.
    benedictione omnes bene

Nice stuff.