Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: a little help please with these old planes

a little help please with these old planes

I did not purchase them for use. I want to build a small display case in my shop for my own pleasure and put any old tool I can find for under 5 dollars, including those old stainless steel electric tools I find at garage sales.
    Im hesitant to spend anything more than 5 dollars for anything old, since old doesnt mean anything to me except its been around a long time. I love people who try to convince me its vintage stuff.
    I didnt think it was worth it today, getting 9 planes for 75 dollars, but my wife wanted me to get out of the house and demanded I go get them because I just liked the way they looked.(there are some cool shaped blades)
    I put a piece of paper in front of any plane where I found markings, manufacturer, numbers, I really dont know much about hand planes.(no suprise to anyone here)
    I dont think I got a bad deal, the guy through(Im losing it, he threw, not through) in the 3 metal planes, so I ended up with a dozen planes.
    Anyone who knows something about planes, please tell me I didnt pay 45 dollars too much for them.
    I appreciate any help, I dont want to look all over the internet because what something is worth in someones mind is alot different than what its worth in the real world.
    I pmed ken last night to ask him if it was worth it, or should I stay away, forgot I could have sent a pm to Jim, but the wife insisted I get out of the house today, so I took the drive.

(all 3 of the big wood planes were marked Mathieson and sons, but one had a different marking on the blade)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails bed 407 (Medium).jpg   bed 409 (Medium).jpg   bed 410 (Medium).jpg   bed 411 (Medium).jpg   bed 412 (Medium).jpg  

bed 413 (Medium).jpg  
    Last edited by allen levine; 04-28-2011 at 08:14 PM.

one thing Id like to mention.
    I purchased them from the owners grandson, or his wifes grandfather.
    The owners name is stamped/imprinted on the back of each wooden plane.
    The grandson told me he doesnt use them anymore, and from the looks at how they were thrown in a box, probably not used in 40 years.
    When he said the grandfather was still alive, I was a bit suprised. The guy looked around my age, so if his grandfather was still around.......yep.....hes having his 101 st birthday in a few more months.
    He was a carpenter, so although Im not sentimental about things, its nice to know the planes must have had some history and put to thousands of hours of use.

Allen, I no longer like you

You did good and have so far. Nice collection you have going. I don't think you have gotten hurt on the prices. I should add. If the Bedrock #3 was included with the $75 bunch, you did really well.

I also moved this to the Neander section. Might get move views here.
    If you don't take pride in your work, life get's pretty boring.

Rule of thumb is if you donít know what tool to buy next, then you probably donít need it yet.

all 12 for 75.
    I was going to buy an old wooden handled set of marple chisels, but he decided to keep them.

Not hurt a bit

Allen, I think you did an outstanding job. At least for Texas prices. I've seen lots of the larger wooden and a few of the moulding planes go for 75 each out here. And I agree with Steve, just that Bedrock, if in "good" shape is worth what you paid. Fine haul, Congratulations.

Allen,

Don't sell those three big woodys short. I recently fixed up an old one into a user, and it's nice...

http://familywoodworking.org/forums/...ad.php?t=23342

Thanks,

Bill

I might keep the small wooden plane with the roundover blade as a user
    I played with it a bit, didnt really clean it up much, but after I figured out how to keep the blade from moving, since its just a wedge holding it in place, I tried it out and it cut fine.(I did some softer wood, but made a nice rounded over edge)
    I dont have a clue how to hand sharpen a curved blade(u shape)

The 603 looks pretty good to me. Wanta sell it?

The #35 - to the right of the D.R. Barton in Pic 5 - is a favorite of mine. I have three of them. IMO, it's the best 'transitional' plane Stanley ever made.
    Jim D.
    Adapt, Improvise, Overcome!

Allen, go look on eBay and see what flat side 603 Bedrocks sell for. Typically more than the $75 you paid. Mathieson [spelling?] is a fine British maker. If you look closely, you're likely to see a laminated blade.

This was an outstanding purchase.

I'd be happy to help you fix up that 603, it will be a very fine user.

Quote Originally Posted by ken werner View Post
    ...I'd be happy to help you fix up that 603, it will be a very fine user.
    Allen,
    If I were you, I'd take Ken up on his offer. A 603 makes a truly fine smoother. You might want to get an aftermarket (LN or LV) blade for it to make it even better.

In case you didn't realize, I was kidding about trying to buy it from you. If you're into planes at all, that one is a 'keeper.'

I wasn't kidding about the 35, though. I think it's the best transitional ever made. I use mine - all of them - a lot.
    Jim D.
    Adapt, Improvise, Overcome!