a little help please with these old planes

allen levine

I did not purchase them for use. I want to build a small display case in my shop for my own pleasure and put any old tool I can find for under 5 dollars, including those old stainless steel electric tools I find at garage sales.
Im hesitant to spend anything more than 5 dollars for anything old, since old doesnt mean anything to me except its been around a long time. I love people who try to convince me its vintage stuff.
I didnt think it was worth it today, getting 9 planes for 75 dollars, but my wife wanted me to get out of the house and demanded I go get them because I just liked the way they looked.(there are some cool shaped blades)
I put a piece of paper in front of any plane where I found markings, manufacturer, numbers, I really dont know much about hand planes.(no suprise to anyone here)
I dont think I got a bad deal, the guy through(Im losing it, he threw, not through) in the 3 metal planes, so I ended up with a dozen planes.
Anyone who knows something about planes, please tell me I didnt pay 45 dollars too much for them.
I appreciate any help, I dont want to look all over the internet because what something is worth in someones mind is alot different than what its worth in the real world.
I pmed ken last night to ask him if it was worth it, or should I stay away, forgot I could have sent a pm to Jim, but the wife insisted I get out of the house today, so I took the drive.

(all 3 of the big wood planes were marked Mathieson and sons, but one had a different marking on the blade)

Attachments

• bed 407 (Medium).jpg
    bed 407 (Medium).jpg
    67.8 KB · Views: 89
  • bed 409 (Medium).jpg
    bed 409 (Medium).jpg
    73.6 KB · Views: 87
  • bed 410 (Medium).jpg
    bed 410 (Medium).jpg
    68 KB · Views: 82
  • bed 411 (Medium).jpg
    bed 411 (Medium).jpg
    73.6 KB · Views: 78
  • bed 412 (Medium).jpg
    bed 412 (Medium).jpg
    74.7 KB · Views: 91
  • bed 413 (Medium).jpg
    bed 413 (Medium).jpg
    69.5 KB · Views: 91
Last edited:
one thing Id like to mention.
I purchased them from the owners grandson, or his wifes grandfather.
The owners name is stamped/imprinted on the back of each wooden plane.
The grandson told me he doesnt use them anymore, and from the looks at how they were thrown in a box, probably not used in 40 years.
When he said the grandfather was still alive, I was a bit suprised. The guy looked around my age, so if his grandfather was still around.......yep.....hes having his 101 st birthday in a few more months.
He was a carpenter, so although Im not sentimental about things, its nice to know the planes must have had some history and put to thousands of hours of use.

Allen, I no longer like you:D:D

You did good and have so far. Nice collection you have going. I don't think you have gotten hurt on the prices. I should add. If the Bedrock #3 was included with the $75 bunch, you did really well.

I also moved this to the Neander section. Might get move views here.

Not hurt a bit

Allen, I think you did an outstanding job. At least for Texas prices. I've seen lots of the larger wooden and a few of the moulding planes go for 75 each out here. And I agree with Steve, just that Bedrock, if in "good" shape is worth what you paid. Fine haul, Congratulations.

I might keep the small wooden plane with the roundover blade as a user
I played with it a bit, didnt really clean it up much, but after I figured out how to keep the blade from moving, since its just a wedge holding it in place, I tried it out and it cut fine.(I did some softer wood, but made a nice rounded over edge)
I dont have a clue how to hand sharpen a curved blade(u shape)

The 603 looks pretty good to me. Wanta sell it? :D:D

The #35 - to the right of the D.R. Barton in Pic 5 - is a favorite of mine. I have three of them. IMO, it's the best 'transitional' plane Stanley ever made.

Allen, go look on eBay and see what flat side 603 Bedrocks sell for. Typically more than the $75 you paid. Mathieson [spelling?] is a fine British maker. If you look closely, you're likely to see a laminated blade.

This was an outstanding purchase.

I'd be happy to help you fix up that 603, it will be a very fine user.

...I'd be happy to help you fix up that 603, it will be a very fine user.

Allen,
If I were you, I'd take Ken up on his offer. A 603 makes a truly fine smoother. You might want to get an aftermarket (LN or LV) blade for it to make it even better.

In case you didn't realize, I was kidding about trying to buy it from you. If you're into planes at all, that one is a 'keeper.'

I wasn't kidding about the 35, though. I think it's the best transitional ever made. I use mine - all of them - a lot.

Wow:eek: I would say you should feel guilty. $75 for that many is unbelievable. You really dun good.

Now you get to spend some loot on some Vaporust and clean em up. You gotta do justice to them all and sharpen them up too.

I bet you could flip a couple and even make a profit and have half a dozen left over.:thumb:

Allen,

Great catch! It is really neat to find things like this.

Also, off the subject, I really like your case for your router bits, I might have to steal that idea from you!:thumb::thumb:

Brian

The 603 is an older one, sometime between 1911 and 1922, but the lever cap is not original - it's from a much newer plane. You should not put that plane in a display case - it should be used. If the body is sound, no breaks or welds, and not infested with rust, it's certainly worth more than $75.

If you don't plan to use it, offer it for sale and you'll get all of your $75 back, and maybe some more.

Mike

[Oops, the lever cap and blade is for the #4 next to the 603. I assume there's no blade, chip breaker or lever cap for the 603. Is that correct? Even without them, a 603 with a good body and frog will sell for a decent amount.]

Last edited:
...Also, off the subject, I really like your case for your router bits, I might have to steal that idea from you!:thumb::thumb:

Hey buster! We don't ever go off topic in this forum. If it's not on topic, don't post it! :rolleyes:

By the way, have you ever noticed that the tail lights on a Mazda Miata kinda look like little dog bones? Yeah, me neither. :rofl:

(I like the router bit case, too.) :thumb:

Hey buster! We don't ever go off topic in this forum. If it's not on topic, don't post it! :rolleyes:

By the way, have you ever noticed that the tail lights on a Mazda Miata kinda look like little dog bones? Yeah, me neither. :rofl:

(I like the router bit case, too.) :thumb:

Whoa, Whoa there!!! Don't get so excited, I apologize!!!:eek::eek::eek:

I know I greatly violated the Family Woodworking Forum's absolute policy to never stray off topic in a thread, but it was for a good cause...give me a second, I think I can come up with one...

Well, ok, I admit I did it on purpose and I will submit myself to the FW authorities to receive whatever punishment you so deem appropriate.

Just whatever you do, don't, and I mean don't throw me into the briar patch!!

Br'er R.

:D:D

The 603 is an older one, sometime between 1911 and 1922, but the lever cap is not original - it's from a much newer plane. You should not put that plane in a display case - it should be used. If the body is sound, no breaks or welds, and not infested with rust, it's certainly worth more than $75.

If you don't plan to use it, offer it for sale and you'll get all of your $75 back, and maybe some more.

Mike

[Oops, the lever cap and blade is for the #4 next to the 603. I assume there's no blade, chip breaker or lever cap for the 603. Is that correct? Even without them, a 603 with a good body and frog will sell for a decent amount.]

you are correct, and I called but it wasnt left there. So Im guessing it was left somewhere in that garage mess, and the guy isnt about to start ripping apart the garage to look for it.
Im going to take the #3 blade, it fits perfectly, and send it to Larry and let him see if he can get the plane in working order for himself as a user.
My only interest was display, I wasnt looking for collectable value and Id rather see someone with good hands use the tool as it was meant to be used.(Im not that nice, Im just trying to bribe larry into giving me a good price when I purchase walnut from him)