Thread: Today

Today

No woodworking, spindles are still on the kitchen counter for the lawnmower. But Eric, Tess' husband stopped by in the morning with this.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Eric 11 tomb.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	62.6 KB 
ID:	56403
    21 pounds, 10" beard, 3/4" spurs

So after all the pictures, saving the fan, beard and feet. Debreasting and taking the legs and thighs we went out back and I got this after one of the most enjoyable, restful time I have had in a long while enjoying mother nature and what she has to offer.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Jon 11 tomb.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	78.2 KB 
ID:	56404
    21 pounds, 9" beard, 1" spurs

Another round of pictures, getting him checked in, taking the beard, fan and feet off. Debreasting and legs and thighs skinned and rinsed and in freezer bags in freezer along with Eric's bird.

Currently, Tess and Eric are out back, hopefully tonight will have one more to show. Eric is shooting a 3"shell out of a 12 gauge Winchester Express semi auto. I am shooting a 3 1/2" shell out of a Browning 10 gauge pump.
    Jon

God and family, the rest is icing on the cake. I'm so far behind, I think I'm in first place!

Host of the 2015 FAMILY WOODWORKING GATHERING

Faith, Hope & Charity

somewhere east of Queen Creek, AZ - South East of Phoenix
    Hey Jon,
    Why did you skin the turkey ? Just curious. I never had a wild turkey, well maybe I drank some but never ate one. I love the skin on farm raised turkey.
    "There’s a lot of work being done today that doesn’t have any soul in it. The technique may be the utmost perfection, yet it is lifeless. It doesn’t have a soul. I hope my furniture has a soul to it." - Sam Maloof
    The Pessimist complains about the wind; The Optimist expects it to change;The Realist adjusts the sails.~ William Arthur Ward

Kinda looks like Larry
    Your Respiratory Therapist wears Combat boots

That's some really nice looking birds Jon. People around here shoot them with pointy sticks. I prefer to get mine out of the freezer case at the local grocer. Kinda got out of the hunting mood after Southeast Asia.

Quote Originally Posted by Don Baer View Post
    Hey Jon,
    Why did you skin the turkey ? Just curious. I never had a wild turkey, well maybe I drank some but never ate one. I love the skin on farm raised turkey.
    I started skinning my ducks, turkeys and chickens probably about ten years ago. Eliminates the need for boiling water and plucking. Supposedly healthier. Took awhile to get used to eating a naked bird, but now, I prefer a skinned bird. When we sold turkeys for holiday meals, it was about half and half between customers that wanted them plucked and those that wanted them skinned. I don't keep the whole carcass of the bird, just fillet out the breast and take legs and thighs as one unit. My mom makes a delicious meat spread for crackers out of geese/ducks/turkey legs.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Burr View Post
    Kinda looks like Larry
    Who the bird???

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Newby View Post
    That's some really nice looking birds Jon. People around here shoot them with pointy sticks. I prefer to get mine out of the freezer case at the local grocer. Kinda got out of the hunting mood after Southeast Asia.
    Thanks Roger. I think Larry stills goes after them with a sharp stick. I had always heard how tough wild turkey meat was. Well, we raised turkeys for a lot of years and had delicious birds, but a wild turkey breast slow cooked on a grill, beyond my ability to describe the melt in your mouth flavor.
    I have gone without shooting a deer, for the last three years. I am getting to the point I don't enjoy freezing in a deer stand. And this year, I wasn't going to go on opening day, Lou had dr's appointments, it was raining. I decided I was going to only evening hunt. Eric is the talented one. He has the ability and ear and just loves hunting. You can ask Larry, this boy is a hunter.
    Jon

God and family, the rest is icing on the cake. I'm so far behind, I think I'm in first place!

Host of the 2015 FAMILY WOODWORKING GATHERING

good deal jonathan,, now yu know that tess is gonna beat yu guys.. and as for leaving the skin on don the wild birds not int he same class as a tame bird.. and roger i like your community pointy sticks are good
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!

Congratulations Jonathan ! I was tough to skin my birds. So now a small slit just below the breast bone and just about done. I also make a small slit on the back bone and skin down to where I want to save the fan and then go across and skin out the fan. It works great and you do not get much meat at all on the fan this way.
    I dream a lot. I do more painting when I'm not painting. It's in the subconscious.
    ::: Andrew Wyeth :::
    colonialrestorationstudio.com