Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: archeaologists???

archeaologists???

do we have any or do you know of any close to you.. i got a suspect rock that i believe has bone pieces in it..so if we have someone that has or knows of someone that has experiences in this i would like you to show them these pics and see what they have to say..
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	tn_rock 001.jpg 
Views:	86 
Size:	141.0 KB 
ID:	56407

Name:	tn_rock 002.jpg 
Size:	137.8 KB 
ID:	56408

Name:	tn_rock 003.jpg 
Size:	131.7 KB 
ID:	56409
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!

It has been too long since I hunted for fossils. I used to find trilobites and all sorts of things long ago.

Couldn't help you here, other than to tell you to use a small chisel and hammer and go slowly and give some room around the object you are removing.

So either you have an interesting fossil here that looks like something big ate something small and you are looking at the 'end result', or you've been digging in my backyard again and you found on of the solicitors that kept bugging me and finally 'decided to stay'.

http://www.madsci.org/posts/archives...4511.Es.r.html

http://earthsci.org/fossils/youngp/h...20from%20stone

only other suggestion would be to contact a local museum. It just takes time, patience and a few cases of malted beverage and, wa-la - almost instant dinosaur (or neighbors dog)!
    That's not even a smile! That's just a bunch of teeth playing with my mind!

in all seriousness brian i too thought of it being a stomach of something with bones and shells and such in it.. the outer area looks like a sandstone compression but the rest was encased in a symmetrical shape..

I don't know what you've got around you, but I would try contacting a museum of natural history and ask their opinion. I know the one I used to visit loved when I brought in stuff to show and ask.

The only downside to this is that you go in for a quick 15 minute question and show and tell and you walk out 3 hours later after getting engrossed in everything else they have (especially when you get to go to the 'back room' where all the in process goodies are!)

Brian
    That's not even a smile! That's just a bunch of teeth playing with my mind!

Larry, maybe a college or university near you too. They usually have a dept that will come out and check your find.
    Your Respiratory Therapist wears Combat boots

Vancouver Island, Courtenay/Comox Valley, British Columbia
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Burr View Post
    Larry, maybe a college or university near you too. They usually have a dept that will come out and check your find.
    Yeah, Larry, that's what I would do. I'd look up the closest university. They all have their departments and staff and email addresses online. See if they have an archeology dept. If not try Biology. Someone there would know someone......
    AKA Young Grasshopper Woodworker
    AKA The Rookie

Having those shells embedded, that other part looks definitely like a bone. I would look around the place you find it to see if there are some more.

As per going to a university or other official place I can't say anything about.
    If it was Spain I would not go or I would never see it again, unless you don't want to keep it.
    Best regards,
    Toni

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _________________
    web site:http://www.toniciuraneta.com
    I also dream of a shop with north light where my hands can be busy, my soul rest and my mind wander...

well it came from under my shop so i dont think i need to have a DIG there just thought i could get my thoughts either confirmed or shot down its just got some strange things going on in it the two colors dont go together in this situation.. i have seen sandstone alot and nothing like this formation

somewhere east of Queen Creek, AZ - South East of Phoenix
    Larry Contact Western Mich University in Kalamzoo, They might have an archeaology Dept.
    "There’s a lot of work being done today that doesn’t have any soul in it. The technique may be the utmost perfection, yet it is lifeless. It doesn’t have a soul. I hope my furniture has a soul to it." - Sam Maloof
    The Pessimist complains about the wind; The Optimist expects it to change;The Realist adjusts the sails.~ William Arthur Ward

don my oldest daughter had a student friend in the field and she is gonna see if she can find out where he is now,, i had a meteorite a few years back and sent it in and to get verified and it never came back,, so this isnt going anywhere without me with it.. some one told me that meteorites have value these days.. but i dont think this rock has any value per say but its not leaving