archeaologists???

larry merlau

do we have any or do you know of any close to you.. i got a suspect rock that i believe has bone pieces in it..so if we have someone that has or knows of someone that has experiences in this i would like you to show them these pics and see what they have to say..
tn_rock 001.jpg

tn_rock 002.jpg

tn_rock 003.jpg

It has been too long since I hunted for fossils. I used to find trilobites and all sorts of things long ago.

Couldn't help you here, other than to tell you to use a small chisel and hammer and go slowly and give some room around the object you are removing.

So either you have an interesting fossil here that looks like something big ate something small and you are looking at the 'end result', or you've been digging in my backyard again and you found on of the solicitors that kept bugging me and finally 'decided to stay'.:rofl::rofl:

http://www.madsci.org/posts/archives/2000-05/958114511.Es.r.html

http://earthsci.org/fossils/youngp/how2/what2.htm#Extracting from stone

only other suggestion would be to contact a local museum. It just takes time, patience and a few cases of malted beverage and, wa-la - almost instant dinosaur (or neighbors dog)!

in all seriousness brian i too thought of it being a stomach of something with bones and shells and such in it.. the outer area looks like a sandstone compression but the rest was encased in a symmetrical shape..

I don't know what you've got around you, but I would try contacting a museum of natural history and ask their opinion. I know the one I used to visit loved when I brought in stuff to show and ask.

The only downside to this is that you go in for a quick 15 minute question and show and tell and you walk out 3 hours later after getting engrossed in everything else they have (especially when you get to go to the 'back room' where all the in process goodies are!)

Brian

Larry, maybe a college or university near you too. They usually have a dept that will come out and check your find.

Larry, maybe a college or university near you too. They usually have a dept that will come out and check your find.

Yeah, Larry, that's what I would do. I'd look up the closest university. They all have their departments and staff and email addresses online. See if they have an archeology dept. If not try Biology. Someone there would know someone......

Having those shells embedded, that other part looks definitely like a bone. I would look around the place you find it to see if there are some more.

As per going to a university or other official place I can't say anything about.
If it was Spain I would not go or I would never see it again, unless you don't want to keep it.:dunno:

well it came from under my shop:) so i dont think i need to have a DIG there:) just thought i could get my thoughts either confirmed or shot down:) its just got some strange things going on in it the two colors dont go together in this situation.. i have seen sandstone alot and nothing like this formation:huh::huh:

don my oldest daughter had a student friend in the field and she is gonna see if she can find out where he is now,, i had a meteorite a few years back and sent it in and to get verified and it never came back,, so this isnt going anywhere without me with it.. some one told me that meteorites have value these days.. but i dont think this rock has any value per say but its not leaving:)

If i were you I would let it go. Just toss it out and forget about it.

If this came from your property next thing you know you got crazies in the gov or some other dept wanting to dig up your place.

Some things are best left alone in my view.

A bureaucrat in the wrong place can turn this into a great make work program. :(

If i were you I would let it go. Just toss it out and forget about it.

If this came from your property next thing you know you got crazies in the gov or some other dept wanting to dig up your place.

Some things are best left alone in my view.

A bureaucrat in the wrong place can turn this into a great make work program. :(
My thoughts as well.

You found something older than you???

well ted,, i gots a good memory so ifun yu get up my way jist remeber your bits of wisdom:):rofl::rofl:

and rennie i didnt think about that,, i have contacted a phd in archeology to see if they would look them over but if yu guys think i am looking for trouble i can change my tune if they reply back..

I don't think your looking for trouble with that dino dung. Now ifn it was a skull oh man would you be looking at a brown yard taped off in 3x3 squares all summer.:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl: