Just in case you were wondering...

Art Mulder

YES, your 2HP dust collector DOES have enough suction to suck up a 16' Stanley Leverlock tape measure into a 4" diam flex hose.
:eek::doh::eek::doh:

However, if you are quick enough, you should be able to jump to the main line and close the blast gate before the tape measure dances it's merry way up the entire length of the 6' hose. (I think it was within 12-16" of the main line though...) Otherwise this might have had a different ending.

I can't even imagine what kind of mess that would have made if it had gotten as far as the DC impeller.

YES, your 2HP dust collector DOES have enough suction to suck up a 16' Stanley Leverlock tape measure into a 4" diam flex hose.

However, if you are quick enough, you should be able to jump to the main line and close the blast gate before the tape measure dances it's merry way up the entire length of the 6' hose. (I think it was within 12-16" of the main line though...) Otherwise this might have had a different ending.

I can't even imagine what kind of mess that would have made if it had gotten as far as the DC impeller.

Back when I had my first DC, which was also 2hp, it took my safety glasses across the router table and ate them. I was not fast enough so it had a nice chance to chew on the glasses as they went through the impeller. It then tossed the glasses into the chip bag for further digestion.

Except for the nose piece and the hinges the Safety Glasses were plastic. I was totally amazed at how little damage was done. However, the damage was enough to total them. Lucky for me, the glasses were a pair of non-prescription, wear over your regular glasses, type of thing. So no damage to the DC. Loss of an inexpensive pair of safety glasses. And a lesson in, don't leave anything expensive near an open four inch DC duct...it could be expensive.

In spite of the above "suction demonstration" I would not consider going under three hp for a DC.

Enjoy,

Jim

On a similar note, I have learned that sucking up an empty tuna can will cause a tremendous racket when the can hits the impeller. It made it through 20' of flex hose before I could hit the remote control button on my belt loop. :rolleyes: Also note that when you're emptying the dust bag for a Ridgid 6" ROS into your big DC scoop, don't let go. The dust bag doesn't do too well going through the impeller. :p

I've got the jet 2hp dc. Only 4" running to a separator to aprox 15' of flex. It does good with shavings and such, but def won't do a small tape measure.

Is that because I'm only using 4" and not 5" or 6" coming off the DC?

That flex ducting is killing your DC's efficiency.
With my 2hp DC I used six-inch PVC (S and R code 35) for all ducting except the shortest possible run of flex from machine to the six-inch main.
My six-inch main sections were made as short as practical. All 90 degree turns were made using two 45 degree els so the air could move more smoothly around those corners.

The air turbulence, because of the "ribs" in flex hose, degrades performance radically. The air movement caused by a 90 degree turn also causes unnecessary turbulence. IMHO 2hp does a decent job only if ducting is minimal and smooth inside. If a turn is necessary in the ducting, it should be as gentle as possible. Two 45 degree els to make the 90 degree turn is a practical low price solution for a turn---"low price" being a relative term.

S and R 35 is really overkill for a 2hp ducting system. It is great and it is what I did. However, with more experience I would look to see if there isn't a less expensive, smooth bore ducting available.

Enjoy,

Jim