Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Stair Tread Caps - phase 2

Stair Tread Caps - phase 2

A while back as some may recall I purchased a bunch of oak to help out a friend that was needing it gone. My wife was wondering what I was going to build with this wood since the budget is tight and there are house projects that need to be done. Well, here's what I came up with....stair tread caps. Would have spent about twice as much for pre-made treads, so was a good move. There was originally carpet on the stairs and had been planning to pickup hardwood treads and remove the existing treads. After looking at the layout of the steps I realized the bottom step was shorter than the rest and the top step was taller than the rest. To correct this I figured it would be best to just cap over the existing treads. For those that haven't done stair treads before, there is a layout tool that can help get almost perfect fitting treads. This one belongs to my dad. You loosen the two large knobs on the end, then adjust it for length with the 4 wing nuts in the middle. When you tighten the two larger knobs, they press the guides against the trim on each side. You then take the tool and lay it on your tread marking your lines for the cuts, which are at the perfect length and angles. Here they are all cut for length and test fitted. I'm pre-finishing them before installing. Will be using tile for the kick boards, so will get some 1/2" concrete backer board under the old treads to fill in the gap and tile over both to fill it in. Got their stain and drying. P.S. A big thanks to Larry on the tip of removing the excess glue with a chisel, was a big time and sanding belt saver.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails tn_IMG_20110501_174208.jpg   tn_IMG_20110501_174416.jpg   tn_IMG_20110501_174228.jpg   tn_IMG_20110501_174503.jpg   tn_IMG_20110501_181911.jpg  

tn_IMG_20110501_200206.jpg  
    Last edited by Darren Wright; 11-24-2014 at 12:57 AM.
    Darren

To a small child, the perfect granddad is unafraid of big dogs and fierce storms but absolutely terrified of the word “boo.” – Robert Brault

Brilliant!

I'm thinking a tool like that could be used for other situations as well. Great idea....
    Programmer - An organism that turns coffee into software.
    If all your friends are exactly like you, What an un-interesting life it must be.
    "A door is what a dog is perpetually on the wrong side of" Ogden Nash

Looks good. Nice use of lumber.

Quote Originally Posted by Brent Dowell View Post
    Brilliant!

I'm thinking a tool like that could be used for other situations as well. Great idea....

Faith, Hope & Charity

Very timely. I will be doing some stairs soon. Great job.

Julio, take a look at this jig. Could probably put some extra plywood to use to build one similar.
    Darren

To a small child, the perfect granddad is unafraid of big dogs and fierce storms but absolutely terrified of the word “boo.” – Robert Brault

On my 4th coat of stain and got it to pretty well match the darkness of the upstairs flooring.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_20110503_190155.jpg  
    Darren

I had a similar problem with my stairway... after the carpet was up, the top and bottom step were 3/4 inch off from the rest... (designed assuming 3/4 inch of carpet) so I had to build all the steps up 3/4 inch. But the existing tread was 2x12 lumber, so I sure didn't want to take that out and start over.

My solution was to glue on a 1 1/2 inch oak lip below the front edge of 3/4 inch oak tread, to hide the 2x12. The 4/4 oak cost me about $100, compared to over $500 for "official" oak treads.

I resawed the risers, and used 3/8" thick oak for the riser, on top of the original (mostly flakeboard).
    Charlie Plesums, Austin Texas
    (Retired early to become a custom furnituremaker)
    Lots of my free advice at www.solowoodworker.com

Well, got the treads installed today. Just used some construction adhesive and a few finish nails to set them in place.

The finish is just about a match, the laminate is a little more brown, but close enough. Still need to move the transition piece at the top of the stairs I added a piece of oak to give it a bit of a bull nose to match the rest of the treads.

My wife also mentioned that she's thinking about using some of the left over bead board for the kick boards instead of tile now. That's fine with me, just about the same amount of work.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails tn_IMG_20110508_212505.jpg   tn_IMG_20110508_212522.jpg  
    Darren

Spitting distance north of Detroit Michigan
    Quote Originally Posted by Darren Wright View Post
    ....My wife also mentioned that she's thinking about using some of the left over bead board for the kick boards instead of tile now. That's fine with me, just about the same amount of work.
    That is until she decides an accent tile in the middle of the bead-board would look spectacular

Looks great & that jig is too cool!
    The perception of perfection is perfectly clear to everyone else