Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Spare me a few of your thoughts

Spare me a few of your thoughts

Hi All

There is something i have been wanting to get down to writing and asking about here for oh must be more than a year so here goes.

I think i can understand the background to our COC rules as it relates to most of the points it contains. But spare a moment to consider some of these points.

• I lived in a country under sever censorship my entire adult life until 1994.
    • We had sanctions impossed on us by the world (for what was inmho the right reasons).
    • Thing is those sanctions achieved nothing except to isolate people and allow the ruling dictators to further entrentch their views in the minds of generations of the population.
    • The forum is hosted and was started in North America but is open to members of the world.
    • The forum has a off topic subsection which has nearly 70K posts on it very high by comparison to other subsections so to argue that its purely a woodworking forum to me seems odd.
    • Even though i spent my entire working life up until a few years ago, being involved in international trade and travelling, one never gets to discuss certain subjects with business people when one is not familiar with them.
    • I find it incredibly valuable and interesting to hear other peoples views particularly when as in the case of this forum one finds a group of people one can relate to. I have learnt a great deal about many subjects here both woodworking and non woodworking some of which has enabled me who lived with a very skew picture of our world, to rethink entirely certain outlooks in life and view on certain approaches to a multitude of subjects.
    • It has made me aware that more damage is done by isolation of silence than good. I cannot quote you exact examples without violating our coc but i think i could fill a few pages with examples of the merits of engagement rather than isolation.
    • The people i have found here seem to be pretty level headed even keel sensible kind of folk with a healthy dose of common sense and much the same value set.
    • I have not been able to make it to the forum as much as i would like the past few weeks but when i do get back to it, one can just pick upwith no problem.
    • This on its own says one feels comfortable and have made friends with people through the forum.
    Add to all the above i have made no secret of my view as to the value i personally place on rights afforded people in the USA and elsewhere such as free speech and expression.

So i ask you all do you not ever talk about politics with your friends. Do you never share any religous views or discuss the religous goings on in some other group? Do you never comment to friends on current affairs?

Surely if people like ourselves adopt an approach to remain silent in the public arena on any current affair topic, then we leave nothing but the noise created by others that do and that leads to pretty one sided or extreme views being the only offering on the public stage.

I know we are a family forum. I know we are a primarily woodworking forum.

Are you indirectly saying that you have segmented your life into

woodworking only friends

computer friends

gardening friends

motorcar friends

cycling friends

etc

and that the only topic you entertain in contact with these friends is the subject at hand.

Believe me i aint trying to stir the pot i am really trying to understand this whole concept.

I struggle immensely with some of the changes taking place in the social realm.

I dont have time for numerous forums, heck i am overloaded already with who told me what such that when i have to write a pm and go back to someone on something they told me for further clarrification, its quiet a mission to remember who it was and i first have to go back and look it all up. I refuse to believe i am alone in this paradigm.

How is it possible to have thousands of friends and be able to keep in meaningful contact???

Surely this is the simple basis of why a forum ends up with a core group that sticks to it and shares all sorts.

If that is even somewhat the case then why do we shy away from discussion.

Surely we are adults, have demonstrated that we can share views in a civil fashion and as such allow each other to hear alternative views to our own which, as in my case has improved my quality of life and outlook.

I say it again, i think as a population group, both Canadians and Americans dont quiet realize how valuable it is for others to hear their views especially once one comes across a group of people that are in my view pretty balanced.

How do you all cope with the idea that you cannot discuss certain topics?

I certainly dont have experience of loads of forums so perhaps thats what i should be doing to get a taste of what some of you have probably experienced at prior places.

I would welcome though hearing some views around this subject.

I tend to have a deja vu feeling about this self censorship.

There is no question that there is serious intellectual capacity on this forum, dont you feel that it should be allowed to manifest itself.

I dunno maybe some of you could do with a stint living under the kind of regime i did. Seems i appreciate some of your rights more than you guys do.

I would welcome any feedback either public or private. Help me iron out my head or put a little air in it if you think i am a flat head.
    cheers

Rob you will find that most everyone here will talk on any subject to anyone face to face. The problem lies in the typed word and the ability to hide behind a computer.
    May of us have been members on other sites that allow one to talk on any and all topics. We have seen just how fast a typed conversation can degrade into nothing more than a flaming war between parties. It has happened right here on this form and we have lost member because of it.
    So while It can be called censorship. It is for the greater good of the site. On the most part we come here to talk about woodworking. Whats going on in the world and what god you pray to are for a different site.
    Hope that helps clear it up for you. Or I just made it clear as mud
    It could be worse You could be on fire.
    Stupid hurts.

somewhere east of Queen Creek, AZ - South East of Phoenix
    Rob,
    What has caused all of the wars in History. I believe the answer is Religion and politics. Not everyone can discuss these issues in a non passionate way nor does everyone agree on these two subject so in order to keep peace on the forum we decided from the begining that these subject would not be allowed. IMHO that is the reason why.
    "Thereís a lot of work being done today that doesnít have any soul in it. The technique may be the utmost perfection, yet it is lifeless. It doesnít have a soul. I hope my furniture has a soul to it." - Sam Maloof
    The Pessimist complains about the wind; The Optimist expects it to change;The Realist adjusts the sails.~ William Arthur Ward

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Thoits View Post
    Rob you will find that most everyone here will talk on any subject to anyone face to face. The problem lies in the typed word and the ability to hide behind a computer.
    May of us have been members on other sites that allow one to talk on any and all topics. We have seen just how fast a typed conversation can degrade into nothing more than a flaming war between parties. It has happened right here on this form and we have lost member because of it.
    So while It can be called censorship. It is for the greater good of the site. On the most part we come here to talk about woodworking. Whats going on in the world and what god you pray to are for a different site.
    Hope that helps clear it up for you. Or I just made it clear as mud
    Don't think it can be said any better than what Chuck said.
    Programmer - An organism that turns coffee into software.
    If all your friends are exactly like you, What an un-interesting life it must be.
    "A door is what a dog is perpetually on the wrong side of" Ogden Nash

Quote Originally Posted by Brent Dowell View Post
    agreed

This group of guys and gals has tough me a few things and I have learned to keep my mouth shut. Although I bit my tong a few times here I have found the PM button.
    One thing though is I do not post as much because of the censorship. A lot of my feeling and my faith go into what I have to say and they are not welcome here. So I backed off.
    I dream a lot. I do more painting when I'm not painting. It's in the subconscious.
    ::: Andrew Wyeth :::
    colonialrestorationstudio.com

Quote Originally Posted by Brent Dowell View Post
    a yup!

Rob, I appreciate why you have suggested more open posting, but I think words typed and read on a computer monitor can come across misunderstood way to easy.
    A man is rich in proportion to the number of things he can afford to let alone. -Henry David Thoreau
    My Website

Well said Chuck. It think since this is a woodworking forum...we should chat about woodworking. I find off-topic to be fun and a resource to help, for lack of better term, bond us as a community. I do not possess the ability to be dispassionate about either my faith or my political views. An example; 2 of the most different people in the world are Vaughn and me. When we visit, we don't talk about religion or politics, we do wood work and talk about mundane stuff...why ruin a good friendship? On the other side of the coin...I have an old friend, several in fact, and that's all we do is talk politics and religion...and scotch! That is the nature of that friendship. As Jeff said, typing can be lacking in emotion and inflection. I canít tell if someone is mad or glad behind the screen.
    But this doesnít leave us devoid of an outlet; PM or email or phone calls are all available to us on this forum to address other things unrelated to woodwork that may cause others offense. We all have a remote and can change the channel if we donít like the show.
    Your Respiratory Therapist wears Combat boots

add what jeff just posted plus the pirates post, and you got it nailed.

Id like to add that having the option to discuss anything else in the world besides religion or politics, leaves a wide variety of subjects available to keep the flow going. (like nascar to roast beef)

Or cigars!!! Allen...tell me what you know about roast beef...I love that stuff!!!!
    Your Respiratory Therapist wears Combat boots

Hi Rob!

Always enjoyment reading your post. But now I do not disagree with you. I think the politics will infect your relationships. Provides an opportunity for misunderstanding. As much as people are good friends. And that I have seen here. Believe me: I know what self-censorship, how to read between rows. I think this does not go into it. I write you a private message much politics as much as you want. Greatest admirers:
    Jozsef

PS: I hope I did not understand the rest of the problem
    I love adventure. Therefore, I stay at home.